Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem creating a .deb packet

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bugsbunny

Re: Problem creating a .deb packet

#16 Post by bugsbunny »

Depends works, and is what you want. It's a matter of HOW you install the package. dpkg (as in dpkg -i) will not resolve dependencies, but will just check to see if they are satisfied.

gdebi on the other hand, will resolve and install missing dependencies. gdebi can be used as either a gui or cli method of installation.

The other solution is to create a local repository then add your package to the local repository. You would then need to add the local repository to your sources.list. After that you would install the package using standard tools like apt-get, aptitude or synaptic. This, however, is almost certainly overkill for only 1 package :), but is worth looking at if you plan on creating lots of local packages.

EDIT: I just looked at the first post and see that the company apparently has it's own repositories. So if gdedi works when testing (I'm guessing you used dpkg -i for testing) then once the package is installed into the local repositories the standard install methods should work fine.

loopin

Re: Problem creating a .deb packet

#17 Post by loopin »

hehe many thanks, i did that, i've made a local repository using "deb file:/..../..../ .../" in /etc/apt/sources.list and it worked fine! :)

I'm reading about how to make my .deb packet to ask to the user at the end of the installation, if he wants to run a bash script which has just installed with the .deb .

I think i've got to work with postinst.ex, but i'm not sure.

Should I open another thread for that question? or should ask that here?
Sorry about having so many questions, but i'm totally a noob with this! :D