Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Partition layout: primary or extended for root parition?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Dynamo

Partition layout: primary or extended for root parition?

#1 Post by Dynamo »

Hi,

For a fresh installation using manual partitioning, one single disk (IDE). If I selected:

/boot: 100 MB, primary, ext2

For the root partition, I would like to use ext4, 10GB, but by default, the partition type 'extended' is suggested. Would there be any difference (advantages, inconveniences) if I selected the primary partition instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

smallchange

Re: Partition layout: primary or extended for root parition?

#2 Post by smallchange »

You can only have 4 primary partitions, so if you want more than 4 partitions now or in the future make the 2nd, 3rd or 4th into an extended partition which can contain logical partitions.

Dynamo

#3 Post by Dynamo »

Hi,

The first primary partition is /boot, so there are still 3 primary partitions I can still use. The second partition I am going to create after /boot is the root partition. At this point I have the choice to use primary or extended for this root partition. I would like to know if there is any difference between these two types of partition types. Because in my mind, a root partition is system related, looks pretty serious, so would it be better being a primary partition?

For other partitions down the road (like /home) I am confident I can use extended partition. I am just wondering about the good practices to layout the root partition.

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

for me its that way:
first partition is primary, root of the first OS is on it.
second is extended and contains /home; swap and a second OS (all in one partition).

i am spare on space on partition one, and taking space from the extended and add it to the other partition ain't easy
(i was told it would be possible, but i finally gave up on it as it didn't work).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

ComputerBob

#5 Post by ComputerBob »

Linux does not care whether it is running from a primary partition or an extended partition.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

StanTheMan

#6 Post by StanTheMan »

I have run Debian on three Primary partitions ,
and also I have run Debian without ANY primary partitions - - Just an extended and three logicals.
But most available computers already have Microsoft installations on the Primaries , and it is safer to just Make an extended and all Logicals for your Linux.

Rolling Stone

#7 Post by Rolling Stone »

nadir wrote:i am spare on space on partition one, and taking space from the extended and add it to the other partition ain't easy
(i was told it would be possible, but i finally gave up on it as it didn't work).
Symlinks baby, symlinks! ;)