Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Some programs not opening. Just "starting" and then disapear

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
wolfric

Some programs not opening. Just "starting" and then disapear

#1 Post by wolfric »

Can't seem to open certain things. For example Synaptic Package manger. It just shows "starting" etc and then nothing. Same thing with partition editor and root terminal. Terminal runs fine (and i can su root from there) as do other things such as firefox, system monitor,update manager add/remove applications. apt-get still works fine. Just want to mention i have 500 megs of ram.

Any ideas? Are there logs dumped somewhere for this kind of thing? Synaptic package manager still runs using dpkg from the terminal.

Bulkley

Re: Some programs not opening. Just "starting" and then disapear

#2 Post by Bulkley »

If you use a terminal emulator (xterm, aterm, etc) to call a program, it will give you the error messages.

Synaptic requires root privileges. In my Openbox menu, I have

Code: Select all

gksu -g /usr/sbin/synaptic
. The gksu -g brings up a box for you to enter your root password.

skorzen

#3 Post by skorzen »

Also, almost every application save logs in files under some special directories. One is, for example, /var/log.

For example, if you,

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/messages
then you can see the latest events that happened in kernel.

But the first step of troubleshooting is running the program in the Terminal, like Bulkley said.

cynwulf

#4 Post by cynwulf »

Same problem since I installed testing. Trouble is for me it's intermittent and Synaptic is the only program affected so far. I tried running it a few times from the terminal last night but it was behaving normally. I will try again later today. I forgot to check the logs as well!

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#5 Post by mzilikazi »

wolfric wrote: Terminal runs fine (and i can su root from there) as do other things such as firefox,.
You're not really running a web browser as root are you? If so, I'd suggest not as that's a great way for some exploit to root your box.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

wolfric

#6 Post by wolfric »

no i'm not running a browser in root. It seems to be working now for some reason.