Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Networking Lenny with WinXP

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
weegeordie

Networking Lenny with WinXP

#1 Post by weegeordie »

I am new to Linux and I am setting up a couple of Debian/Lenny systems for my wife and daughter to use. I have an exisiting network of WinXP/Win7 systems and I would like to share some files and the printer. My daughter wants to copy her pictures and music from the old WinXP system she used to use. I am able to connect to the internet through my router but I don't know how to connect to the other Windows systems.

I have made the assumption that this is possible. I am also guessing that I'm not the first person to pose this question so if it is answered in another post I would be happy if someone could point me at it and I will work from there.
Thanks ...weeG

julian67

Re: Networking Lenny with WinXP

#2 Post by julian67 »

You can set up Windows networking on non-Windows computers by using samba. This is easily done using your file manager. If you're using the default desktop, Gnome, then its file manager is Nautilus. Install the package nautilus-share and you will then be able to share directories in much the same way as you did on Windows. You'll need to log out and in again for it to take effect.

I haven't used Gnome for a long time but I think once you've installed nautilus-share (and logged out and in again, or rebooted) then you'll find somewhere like main menu > system > printer the facility to share your printer on the LAN.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

bugsbunny

#3 Post by bugsbunny »

A few questions:
1) I assume you want to access XP shares from Debian. This is relatively easy and doesn't require a full blown Samba install. If you also want to access Debian shares from the XP systems then you need Samba installed and configured.

So do you want to access Debian from XP as well as the other way around?

2) Printers - are the printers attached to the XP machines and you want to print to them from Debian, or the other way around?

In any case you'll want to install smbclient and smbfs. After that see

Code: Select all

man mount.cifs
nautilus-share installs samba as one of it's dependencies and allows you to create shares that can be accessed from XP.

julian67

#4 Post by julian67 »

If using Gnome with nautilus-share then there should be no need to read the man pages because all the configuration is done via the GUI. Unless it doesn't work....

I didn't use Gnome for a very long time but I do recall that using Nautilus to set up Samba shares, and to browse shares on other (Windows) PCs, was very simple, and it worked. The only gotcha was to remember to log out and in again after setting it up. I've recently set up a samba file server on a headless system and the man pages and other docs are mind-boggling in their complexity and sheer size. I wouldn't refer an inexperienced user to them unless I bore them a grudge. In any desktop environment which has easy and effective GUI tools for doing this I'd avoid Samba's command line/text based config under almost any circumstances I can think of, which is the opposite position I'd take on every other aspect of system configuration I can think of.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

weegeordie

#5 Post by weegeordie »

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your replies. The system is not notifying me of replies.

Bugsbunny: I only need to read XP files from the Linux systems so I can get files off of XP and eliminate those systems. The printers are attached to my XP system I use for home and business. I expect to continue to use the printer primarily on the XP system.

Thanks
Thanks ...weeG