Bug still not fixed

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Bug still not fixed

Postby tuxracer » 2010-04-06 20:16

When I install Synaptic in Debian Squeeze, LXDE, Synaptic is placed in the menu three times and of course, only one of the entry works.

This has been this way since way back when I first installed Debian Squeeze on my laptop w/ LXDE.

So, no one cares about this ridiculous bug? Maybe they'll just leave it there forever?!?

C'mon... :|
tuxracer

Re: Bug still not fixed

Postby Telemachus » 2010-04-06 20:24

tuxracer wrote:When I install Synaptic in Debian Squeeze, LXDE, Synaptic is placed in the menu three times and of course, only one of the entry works.

This has been this way since way back when I first installed Debian Squeeze on my laptop w/ LXDE.

So, no one cares about this ridiculous bug? Maybe they'll just leave it there forever?!?

C'mon... :|

Have you posted a bug report? It's not especially hard, and it often helps. (I just got something fixed in Ruby - the language. It didn't take much - in fact, all I did was point out that something didn't work, and send in a reproducible test case. Someone else - much more clever than me - wrote a patch to fix it a few months later. Lovely.)
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
Telemachus

Postby tuxracer » 2010-04-06 20:27

But, it's a common AND popular application. I installed LXDE... I dunno...months ago. I don't know if it's a Squeeze bug or related to LXDE. So, how would I report the bug?

I only have Squeeze installed on my laptop which is using LXDE. I can't figure out how to edit the menu either. I thought I could take out some of the Synaptic entries.

I tried uninstalling Synaptic and re-installing. Same problem.
tuxracer

Postby Telemachus » 2010-04-06 22:27

tuxracer wrote:But, it's a common AND popular application.

I'm not sure I understand your point, but if you mean "It's popular, so I shouldn't have to report the bug" it doesn't work that way. Someone has to report it, after all. You also have to face the possibility that it isn't a general bug but something specific to your system. Please don't misunderstand: I'm not blaming you, and I know nothing about LXDE. But you have to allow for the possibility. In fact, I would say that's another benefit of bug reports: you get to learn if it's just you. If it is, you know which end of the stick to pick up at least.

tuxracer wrote:I installed LXDE... I dunno...months ago. I don't know if it's a Squeeze bug or related to LXDE. So, how would I report the bug?

You're running LXDE in Debian in Squeeze. Report the bug as such (as a Debian bug - you specify your info as part of that). If it's an upstream bug, you will find out on the bugtracker and/or it will get kicked upstream.
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System
Telemachus

Postby craigevil » 2010-04-06 23:00

Synaptic shows up in my menu in Preferences. You can delete the ones that do not work from /usr/share/applications
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Return to Beginners Questions