dpkg questions and memory usage question

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

dpkg questions and memory usage question

Postby toomanyhobbies » 2010-04-08 21:55

I was just wondering about a few little things. I'm using Debian Lenny with no gui.

I know that I can see all installed packages with dpkg -l. When I do that, all the installed packages scroll past and I can only read the bottom of the list. I know there's some command that shows by page or something, but I can't find it.

The other issue is that when I use dpkg -l, some of the package names are too long and get cut off. How do I view the complete package name?

The third and final question actually relates to memory usage. I have been testing a server with Debian. It has been up for 2 days, and the memory usage has significantly increased during that time. When I run "top", I can see that virtually all of the memory usage increase has taken place in "cached", rather than in any specific processes or in adding new ones.

Is this indicative of a memory leak, or is this normal? When my RAM fills up and starts going to swap, will there be a considerable slowdown? (assuming that the swap only gets used for the increasing "cache" usage)

Thanks in advance.
toomanyhobbies

Re: dpkg questions and memory usage question

Postby roseway » 2010-04-09 06:08

Use dpkg -l | less to scroll through the output one page at a time.

At a guess I would say that the truncated package names are caused by the number of characters per line in your display. You may be able to solve the problem by booting into a higher resolution.
Eric
roseway

Postby stevepusser » 2010-04-09 07:57

The linux kernel memory manager is smart enough to use free RAM as cache, rather than let sit there going to waste. It will be discarded if necessary; what you see is normal.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Clipgrab 3.8.6, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.8, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.7.2, KeepassXC 2.5.1
stevepusser

Postby toomanyhobbies » 2010-04-09 16:45

Roseway: Thanks much. Regarding the display res: It just goes to the default. I'll have to look around on how to change the resolution, and whether my screen can actually handle a higher res.

Anybody know of another way to show the complete package names?

stevepusser: That's a relief. It would stink to have to reboot that often. I knew that the kernel memory manager did that, but I didn't know how excessive the results I was seeing were. I hadn't looked at such details before. (When you have 1 GB on your main pc and rebooting every day, it doesn't matter that much! :D )
toomanyhobbies

Return to Beginners Questions