Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

dpkg questions and memory usage question

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
toomanyhobbies

dpkg questions and memory usage question

#1 Post by toomanyhobbies »

I was just wondering about a few little things. I'm using Debian Lenny with no gui.

I know that I can see all installed packages with dpkg -l. When I do that, all the installed packages scroll past and I can only read the bottom of the list. I know there's some command that shows by page or something, but I can't find it.

The other issue is that when I use dpkg -l, some of the package names are too long and get cut off. How do I view the complete package name?

The third and final question actually relates to memory usage. I have been testing a server with Debian. It has been up for 2 days, and the memory usage has significantly increased during that time. When I run "top", I can see that virtually all of the memory usage increase has taken place in "cached", rather than in any specific processes or in adding new ones.

Is this indicative of a memory leak, or is this normal? When my RAM fills up and starts going to swap, will there be a considerable slowdown? (assuming that the swap only gets used for the increasing "cache" usage)

Thanks in advance.

roseway

Re: dpkg questions and memory usage question

#2 Post by roseway »

Use dpkg -l | less to scroll through the output one page at a time.

At a guess I would say that the truncated package names are caused by the number of characters per line in your display. You may be able to solve the problem by booting into a higher resolution.
Eric

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

The linux kernel memory manager is smart enough to use free RAM as cache, rather than let sit there going to waste. It will be discarded if necessary; what you see is normal.
MX Linux packager and developer

toomanyhobbies

#4 Post by toomanyhobbies »

Roseway: Thanks much. Regarding the display res: It just goes to the default. I'll have to look around on how to change the resolution, and whether my screen can actually handle a higher res.

Anybody know of another way to show the complete package names?

stevepusser: That's a relief. It would stink to have to reboot that often. I knew that the kernel memory manager did that, but I didn't know how excessive the results I was seeing were. I hadn't looked at such details before. (When you have 1 GB on your main pc and rebooting every day, it doesn't matter that much! :D )