Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No internet with a fresh Netinst install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Tux Mage

No internet with a fresh Netinst install

#1 Post by Tux Mage »

Recently, I did a netinst Debian install (on a C554US compaq presario), and while the net worked fine during install, I didn't seem to have a network connection (I use dhcp, mind you) or even an eth0 set up. I've used Debian before, but it was awhile back and I can't remember it all that well, but I DO remember having had net back then (previous version).

I'm using Debian Testing, if that helps explain what might be wrong, and I can't help but feel it is my own mistake which caused it. I spent awhile googling, but to no avail, so could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

EDIT: OH! It just dawned on me! I think I posted this in the wrong spot in my haste, and I apologize for the annoyance. Anyway, if it holds any relevance, I'm using a cable internet connection.

Bulkley

Re: No internet with a fresh Netinst install

#2 Post by Bulkley »

What's in your /etc/network/interfaces ?

Tux Mage

#3 Post by Tux Mage »

well, I would have to reinstall (am on an opensuse install right now, which I'd rather not be on, personally) so I can't exactly tell what was there anymore, but I can say for a fact that my connection options were totally empty. What I'm referring to, in case it is unrelated, is the GUI menu for managing network connections. I didn't seem to have an eth0 (which I think I tried to point out in my initial question) or anything there, when on a previous install, I am convinced I had it by default.

I tried setting one up with DHCP, but I guess that's what I get for letting other distros hold my hand so much for so long.

I hope this added info helps!

slowcoach

#4 Post by slowcoach »

The problem with the netinst CD is that some older files are not being updated during installation.
The netinst CD is months out of date compared to the latest weekly build CD/DVD set, there have been a lot of changes since it was made available on-line, use the weekly build DVD #1 if you can and tell it to do a net update during installation.
Currently, British inventors are responsible for over half of all the new inventions in the World.

cynwulf

#5 Post by cynwulf »

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

If you try again, read the section on Squeeze, follow the instructions and all should be ok. It should still connect up with what's already in /etc/network/interfaces though so there may be some others issues as well.