Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A few questions before install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nadir

Re: A few questions before install

#16 Post by nadir »

You may put grub on the stick instead of the mbr.
In case it doesn't boot from USB Bro.Tiag did write a how-to make use of a CD (you put grub and a kernel on the CD, if i recall correct). That would be quite a bit of work... so in that case it's different (I wouldn't say "hey, just use a stick" and give you trouble and headaches and that. I like easy solutions. But, theoretically, it would work.)

BTW: i did a short search and found this:
http://wiki.debian.org/alsaconf
<!> alsaconf was removed from alsa-utils at 1.0.17-1. From the package changelog: "The only valid use-case for alsaconf is aiding the configuration of ISA sound cards."
Not sure what that means for your question. Just a short hint. I guess someone will be able to tell you.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

nadir

#17 Post by nadir »

If your PC is able to boot from a stick it is no big deal.

GSi

#18 Post by GSi »

I know...That PC is almost 10 years old...

nadir

#19 Post by nadir »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33094
Have a look and make up your mind. It is not easy (or better: it was and is not easy for me).

Bro.Tiag

#20 Post by Bro.Tiag »

GSi wrote:I have one more question.. I have a very old PC with ISA sound card. If I install Debian on that PC will the ISA sound work?
Have you tryed a LiveCD?

Cheers

GSi

#21 Post by GSi »

Thank you for that manual! Tomorrow before booting up to windows I will go in bios and see what booting options I have and If I don't have USB boot I will try do the CD that redirects to USB boot

GSi

#22 Post by GSi »

No, I didn't theres no way to start live CD with 128 mb ram.. :(

nadir

#23 Post by nadir »

You might try those (all somehow Debian-based):
feather-linux
i think fluxbox or jwm

antix
fluxbox and icewm; very good OS with lots of apps and user-comfort.

knoppix with lxde
(one of them comes with lxde, but which one?)

damn small linux
fluxbox and jwm, looks like <profanity> but runs on everything.

hag and grml are also good ones.

And, top of the pops and brand new:
refracta
with e17 (and perhaps other window-managers. I don't know). I would say choose medium or full. Super-cool. :-)

I don't say they will work with 128MB as a live, but they might.
I have ran live-cd's on such PC's, but it takes a lot of tries to find one which does. I ran a live on a 64MB PC (to copy an OS from a stick to hard-disk. :lol:
It did work :lol: )

fsmithred

#24 Post by fsmithred »

I ran an earlier version of refracta, which is debian lenny with e17 desktop, on a 450MHz PIII with 64MB of memory. I'll bet the lxde or xfce versions of debian-live would boot with 128. What happened to the 1G of ram you mentioned in an earlier post?

Here's the link to the debian-live i386 images -
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/relea ... 86/iso-cd/

GSi

#25 Post by GSi »

I'm sorry.
There are 2 PCs
The one I'm Using now (AMD Duron 1.3ghz 1gb RAM) and I have an older PC with wich I'm experimenting ( trying different Distributions) The 2-nd PC's specs : 400mhz Intel Celeron 192mb RAM 4gb Hard drive

fsmithred

#27 Post by fsmithred »

USB-HDD should work. If that's on the older computer, I'm impressed. Running off a usb stick is about as fast as running off the hard drive (my subjective experience), compared to running off a cd, which can be painfully slow. I didn't notice if there were any usb images on the page I linked for debian-live, but I'm pretty sure they have some.

Edit: or you could just install to the usb drive as someone suggested above. Then you'll be able to add/remove programs.

GSi

#28 Post by GSi »

Yes,the PC is almost 10 years old... Today I borrowed my dad's 8gb kingston flash drive and tried to install debian on it.. I disconnected the Hard Drive First (I don't know why.. :D) and the setup detected the flash drive and I made it to the point where you partition the HDD (or flash drive) and stopped the install (the flash drive was full with music).. So soon I'll buy the same flash drive and use Debian from USB :)

nadir

#29 Post by nadir »

Sounds good.
The only thing which is a bit troublesome is installing grub.
If i recall correct i have choosen:
a)install grub? -Yes
b) install it to mbr? -> No
c)but where you wanna install it instead? -> /dev/sdXXX
(should be /dev/hdb1 or /dev/sdb1 if you got one hard-disk)

good luck.

GSi

#30 Post by GSi »

But when I install on the Flash drive the Hard Drive is Disconnected.. :)

GSi

#31 Post by GSi »

And what about other PCs? My PC has Nvidia GeForce 2 (wich has problems with ubuntu) what will happen to the driver for the nvidia card if I plug the flash drive in PC with other video card? Will I have to redo the settings again?

fsmithred

#32 Post by fsmithred »

Unplugging the second hard drive during the install is an ok idea if you're paranoid about installing to the wrong disk. I've done it that way occasionally, just so I know there's no chance of making that mistake. You might have to edit some config files when you hook it up again. Not really a big deal. ( /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst)

Installing grub to the mbr of the usb drive shouldn't be a problem, either, assuming your bios lets you set that drive to boot first.

If you're planning to use the nvidia proprietary driver, then you may need different ones for different age cards. I haven't thought that through, but I'm sure there's a way to do it. I've got a GeForce2 on one machine, and I think I'm using nvidia-glx-legacy on it. I can check before you get to that point. It'll work fine with the open-source nv driver, which I expect will be chosen automatically when xorg starts.

GSi

#33 Post by GSi »

I dont know about the driver.. I think I will.. I'll try using Compiz.. :lol: :lol:

GSi

#34 Post by GSi »

And If I Write Grub Into the flash drive's MBR will I be able to format it to FAT32 (for regular use) later?

fsmithred

#35 Post by fsmithred »

Yes, you'll be able to reformat the drive to whatever you want to later.
Here's a post by julian67 that might be helpful - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 55#p251528