Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How I mount our ntfs drivers ?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hadi3457

How I mount our ntfs drivers ?

#1 Post by hadi3457 »

Hi
I install Lenny now and I have some problem for start:
I have a Windows xp in my pc and install Lenny by grub inside it. now I can't open my windows drives in debian. can you help me how I can open them? I just have home folder and cdrom in my linux. I use xfce desktop if it can help to you for answer.
another problem is keyboard layout: how I can use a different language. I use of Farsi language but I don't know debian support my language or not?
Thank you for you share!
cheers

lbm

Re: How I mount our ntfs drivers ?

#2 Post by lbm »

first install ntfs-3g

Code: Select all

#aptitude install ntfs-3g
#modprobe ntfs
create mountpoint, and mount, where sda1 in this example is your NTFS partition.

#mkdir /mnt/MyNtfsDisk
#mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/MyNtfsDisk
Should be working.
Last edited by lbm on 2010-05-08 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Absent Minded

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

I could be wrong here but I thought that you need to specify "ntfs-3g" as the filesystem and not "ntfs". The kernel already has ntfs support built in for many years now but was only writable as root without using ntfs-3g.

Could I get some clarification of this?
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

lbm

#4 Post by lbm »

Absent Minded wrote:I could be wrong here but I thought that you need to specify "ntfs-3g" as the filesystem and not "ntfs". The kernel already has ntfs support built in for many years now but was only writable as root without using ntfs-3g.

Could I get some clarification of this?
Yeah, sorry. ntfs must be ntfs-3g :)

I will edit the post.

Lecram

#5 Post by Lecram »

hello
i hope that you have installed ntfs-3g.pls clarify your question is it drivers or partions.
if your problem is wit the partion then open terminal become root

k@localhost#gedit /etc/fstab
it will open the file in this edit as follows

/dev/sdaX   /media/YY ntfs-3g   defaults  0  0
where X is the partion number and YY is the folder you are going to create in /media and mount the partion X on it.
create the folder by

k@localhost# mkdir  YY
and mount the partion with

By using it all your ntfs partions will be mounted at boot time.
k@localhost#mount YY

to unmount your partion

umount YY

Remember you have to root while doing all this operation.

If your looking for driver then check that your driver is compatible with linux .Because some of them may not work in linux.

Absent Minded

#6 Post by Absent Minded »

While the above help will provide you with your NTFS partition being mounted on each boot. It is my opinion that mounting NTFS partitions through fstab is not a real great idea. The main reason I say this is if something happens to the NTFS partition that make it nessary for it to need to be checked for consistancy your system may refuse to boot until you have fixed the problem. It is your choice however.

AM
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Lecram

#7 Post by Lecram »

hai
Absent Minded wrote: It is my opinion that mounting NTFS partitions through fstab is not a real great idea. The main reason I say this is if something happens to the NTFS partition that make it nessary for it to need to be checked for consistancy your system may refuse to boot until you have fixed the problem. It is your choice however.
how about changing the permissions of the mounted partion from root to user and therby it can be mounted at will and thereby minimizing the chances of the problem you mentioned i hope that what i said is right.please tell me if it is possible and correct and how to do it,if it is right. :idea:

Absent Minded

#8 Post by Absent Minded »

Lecram wrote:hai
Absent Minded wrote: It is my opinion that mounting NTFS partitions through fstab is not a real great idea. The main reason I say this is if something happens to the NTFS partition that make it nessary for it to need to be checked for consistancy your system may refuse to boot until you have fixed the problem. It is your choice however.
how about changing the permissions of the mounted partion from root to user and therby it can be mounted at will and thereby minimizing the chances of the problem you mentioned i hope that what i said is right.please tell me if it is possible and correct and how to do it,if it is right. :idea:
Although I don't have much time today I personaly use a mount on demand configuration when and "if" I need access to an NTFS volume. There is nothing wrong with how you described mounting them. It works and is functional. It is just not the best practice from my perspective.

I hope someone else can fill in the details for you of mounting on demand as I need to get my Lady out of the house and to the doctor at present.

Best of luck,
AM
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#9 Post by Absent Minded »

Okay, I am back but it is late so this will be a bit short. I will however give you some things to look into.

Since I rarely need to mount an NTFS partition thesedays I tend to do just as IBM has stated from a CLI:

su
password

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/MyNtfsDisk
However there are other options. To mount on demand as a regular user you should probibly look at using pmount from the CLI. However other options might include using the fstab file as you already mentioned and appending the "noauto" switch. I have heard varing results using this method though as some have reported that their partitions (eventhough marked with "noauto") are still being auto mounted by the system before the UI is availible. I haven't had the need to delve into this to determin if the "auto mount" is happining at boot when fstab is processed or later by the activation of some service. If in-fact it is mounted by another service after the fstab file has been processed already, then it "might not" keep your system from booting into a useable state if there happend to be a problem with that partition.

Another option to be concidered is to use a FUSE(?) mod. instead. I however can not elaberate on this method much as I haven't actually tried using it.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012