Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

codecs question

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
oaridus

codecs question

#1 Post by oaridus »

I am trying to play music as well as videos in debian lenny but nothing works. I installed w32codec and libdvdcss2 packages. In windows i remember that there is klite codec package which has everything in it in one place. Is there such a codec pack for debian. It seems strange that simple mp3 codecs are not installed in debian by default which is needed to play any music file. For audio files it says

The playback of this movie requires a MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder plugin which is not installed.

For different videos I get the following messages

The playback of this movie requires a Advanced Streaming Format (ASF) demuxer plugin which is not installed.

The playback of this movie requires the following decoders which are not installed:

MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder
XVID MPEG-4 decoder

The playback of this movie requires a RIFF/CDXA (VCD) decoder plugin which is not installed.

There are so many codecs missing. How do I install them. Please help

oaridus

Re: codecs question

#2 Post by oaridus »

ok. I installed rhythmbox music player and then while opening the music files it said -- the necessary codecs are not installed and do you want to search for them. after a yes, it gave me 3 packages which needed to be installed. I installed them but one of them could not be downloaded due to error. So I am able to play music files but not video yet.. please help

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

oaridus wrote: It seems strange that simple mp3 codecs are not installed in debian by default which is needed to play any music file.
That's not strange at all. Mp3 is patent encumbered and not free. Ask Microsoft what happens when you don't license mp3. ;)

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

Radissthor

#4 Post by Radissthor »

mzilikazi wrote:
oaridus wrote: It seems strange that simple mp3 codecs are not installed in debian by default which is needed to play any music file.
That's not strange at all. Mp3 is patent encumbered and not free. Ask Microsoft what happens when you don't license mp3. ;)

http://www.debian-multimedia.org/
This is basically one of the things you'll have to get used to using Debian. If something is not open-source, it is not included by default, no mater how important you think it is for the functioning of your computer.

Regarding the playing of videos, try Mplayer. When configured correctly, it plays almost anything. To install, open the terminal and type

Code: Select all

su
<enter your password>

Code: Select all

# apt-get install mplayer
Hope that helps. Cheerios

craigevil

#5 Post by craigevil »

For videos/dvds I use smplayer/mplayer and vlc for the very rare video that mplayer won't play.

And mplayer or audacious for music, either one will play anything. But the same can be said for Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Totem. Some apps you will need the proper gstreamer plugins ther wills use ffmpeg or xine plugins,

Like others have already said if you install the needed things from debian-multimedia.org you will be good to go.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I was under the impression that the testing/ unstable ffplay (comes with ffmpeg) and mplayer could play back many restricted formats, such as mp3 and h.264, to name a couple. Am I wrong? Reading the notes inside the Debian build of ffmpeg, which provides the libavcodec library that is used by just about all the players, shows all the encumbered encoders are stripped out while leaving in the decoders. I guess the patent holders are happy to have us use content created with their formats, regardless of what software is used for playback, but they object to unauthorized creation of content using those codecs.

Of course, the Lenny versions can't do much at all...you need the debian-multimedia repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

jku

#7 Post by jku »

stevepusser wrote:I was under the impression that the testing/ unstable ffplay (comes with ffmpeg) and mplayer could play back many restricted formats, such as mp3 and h.264, to name a couple. Am I wrong? Reading the notes inside the Debian build of ffmpeg, which provides the libavcodec library that is used by just about all the players, shows all the encumbered encoders are stripped out while leaving in the decoders. I guess the patent holders are happy to have us use content created with their formats, regardless of what software is used for playback, but they object to unauthorized creation of content using those codecs.
I would be very surprised if any version of Debian played mp3 and H264 out of the box, it's just not legal. The patent owners definitely do not agree with your view on the use of codecs: H264 decoders must have a license from MPEG LA and Fraunhofer has explicitly stated that distributing even MP3 decoders without their license is infringing on their patents -- and Fraunhofer is far from being the only licensee of MP3.

refracta

#8 Post by refracta »

jku wrote: I would be very surprised if any version of Debian played mp3 ... out of the box, it's just not legal.
prepare to be surprised

craigevil

#9 Post by craigevil »

Its not technically "legal" in the US for me to watch dvds on my linux system, or at least its not without buying one of the few commercial dvd apps for linux.

But what are they gonna do come to my house and check? :) Same goes for mp3s and other patented formats.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

oaridus

#10 Post by oaridus »

oaridus wrote:ok. I installed rhythmbox music player and then while opening the music files it said -- the necessary codecs are not installed and do you want to search for them. after a yes, it gave me 3 packages which needed to be installed. I installed them but one of them could not be downloaded due to error. So I am able to play music files but not video yet.. please help

I was now able to install the third gstreamer package (the ugly set) and now my videos also work. Thanks everyone for your help!!