Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Chrome on Debian - no html5 support?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
davidh

Chrome on Debian - no html5 support?

#1 Post by davidh »

Having troubles with Flash I tried the youtube html5 videos and after thirty seconds of playing with Chrome it stops and says "missing plugin". Does it not support it on Debian as the website for Chrome says it does support hmtl5.

Iceweasel doesn`t play anything just goes to try and play flash (I have now uninstalled Adobe flash as it`s performance is awful on my system) nor does Epiphany, any ideas what will?

AdrianTM

Re: Chrome on Debian - no html5 support?

#2 Post by AdrianTM »

HTML5 plays fine here in Chrome, not sure what's your problem, just saying that it should work fine.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

davidh

#3 Post by davidh »

Are you using Google Chrome or Chromium? I have the Chrome beta, maybe you have the stable version?

I might have to uninstall and reinstall chrome if it keeps happening and it`s working for you.

AdrianTM

#4 Post by AdrianTM »

I tried Google Chrome Beta and Unstable, it worked in both.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

For Iceweasel, you may try the "System Video" addon, which will try to play HTML5 content such as h.264 mp4 video in something like the gecko-mediaplayer plugin instead of the program's builtin player. This of course requires an mplayer that can play back that content.

For the original problem: did you get Chrome direct from Google, or is it a "safe" rebuild?
MX Linux packager and developer

milomak

#6 Post by milomak »

to check which version you are running, what does dpkg -l | grep -E '(chrome|chromium)' return?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

davidh

#7 Post by davidh »

I updated to the newest Beta of Chrome and same file played okay but I haven`t tried other files yet as bit busy and been sort of getting more used to other aspects of Linux.

As regards Iceweasel I`m not really a big fan of that, for some reason it`s the only browser that will just randomly exit for no apparent reason often when I click the mouse somewhere in the browser window so I tend not to use that. Wish more companies like BBC would start supporting html5 video.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I just tried a build of Opera 10.54 (a static build for Ubuntu, but I guess my QT 4 libraries were compatible, and it was not a deb, just a tarball of the executable and libraries) that supports the new Google WebM vp8 codec that will soon be available for every video in YouTube. The sample worked a treat, as they say. Firefox and of course Chrome will support this codec very soon, too. Hopefully this can be a viable alternative to Flash.

Link: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/download ... m-vp8.html
MX Linux packager and developer

craigevil

#9 Post by craigevil »

stevepusser wrote:I just tried a build of Opera 10.54 (a static build for Ubuntu, but I guess my QT 4 libraries were compatible, and it was not a deb, just a tarball of the executable and libraries) that supports the new Google WebM vp8 codec that will soon be available for every video in YouTube. The sample worked a treat, as they say. Firefox and of course Chrome will support this codec very soon, too. Hopefully this can be a viable alternative to Flash.

Link: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/download ... m-vp8.html
The video plays in the latest Google Chrome dev, using html5.

$ apt-cache policy google-chrome-unstable
google-chrome-unstable:
Installed: 6.0.408.1-r47574
Candidate: 6.0.408.1-r47574
Version table:
*** 6.0.408.1-r47574 0
500 http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Works well on the Firefox build as well.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.3a4webm) Gecko/20100518 MozillaDeveloperPreview/3.7a4webm
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

davidh

#10 Post by davidh »

I`m finding that some html5 videos play and others show the progress indicator saying they are playing but they don`t show anything past the first frame so maybe there is an issue with my setup somewhere although I haven`t realy messed with it as such, I will try to figure it out but if it`s working on your system it must be something about mine that affects html5 sometimes.