Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Opening Ports :: 8085 & 3724

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Masked Crusader

Opening Ports :: 8085 & 3724

#1 Post by Masked Crusader »

Hello all.

I am somewhat new to the Linux side of the coin. I have been using different versions of the same for about a year or so now, but I have never had to open ports before and I am a little baffled by the process.

After doing some research, I finally found "nmap" to see if the ports that I required to be open, were open. They were not. I am now looking for how to open the ports that I need :: port 8085 and 3724.

My server is a barebone dedicated server from mediatemple.net (their ve server). I am not sure if it has a firewall on it as it just comes with the VERY base install of the OS and that is it.

Any help or a link to documentation that can show me how to open ports and what to research would be oh-so-very helpful.

Thanks!

Masked Crusader

Re: Opening Ports :: 8085 & 3724

#2 Post by Masked Crusader »

After speaking with my host, they have told me that all my ports are open by default and that there is no firewall installed.

They stated that what I need to do is set it up so that both these ports are being listened too.

Again, a little lost as to how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!

julian67

Re: Opening Ports :: 8085 & 3724

#3 Post by julian67 »

You can start here http://wiki.debian.org/Firewalls

If you don't require IPv6 support then firehol is an excellent choice. It is extremely well documented at the firehol website, with tutorials, examples and so on. Whichever choice you make read the docs!!! and ideally try stuff out on a PC on your LAN, because you don't want the hassle of locking yourself out of a remote machine.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"