Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What ati driver do i need?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Absent Minded

Re: What ati driver do i need?

#16 Post by Absent Minded »

Sorry to hear that the vendor doesn't any longer support your chipset. That can be frustrating. Generally speaking, you may still have other options. Although it can be expensive, you can have someone write firmware/drivers for Linux to support your card. If you go this rout, I suggest having a programmer that supports open-source do it. Alternately, and often much cheaper, you can install a secondary graphics card that is supported by the open-source community. Most modern BIOSs support using an alternate graphics card. Then again, if you don't have an AGP or ePCI slot availible this may also be undesirable. Personally, I like to keep my options open and so I don't tend to buy pre-built systems or order mainboards with built in video and sound chips (although in my business I have to regularly deal with them).
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

cynwulf

Re: What ati driver do i need?

#17 Post by cynwulf »

xXx wrote:The fact is that the card is REALLY NOT SUPPORTED anymore!
The fglrx versison in the lenny repos should support your card.