Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Re-installing video drivers after kernel update

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Axalon

Re-installing video drivers after kernel update

#1 Post by Axalon »

I'm using the liqorix kernel and have been updating when new versions become available. However, every time I install a new version and restart, I have to re-install my video drivers. I don't think this is normal, but I could be wrong, I'm basing my past experience on updating Ubuntu kernels. So is this normal? Is there a way I can prevent myself from having to re-install my video drivers every time I update my kernel?

craigevil

Re: Re-installing video drivers after kernel update

#2 Post by craigevil »

If you are using the nvidia drivers or fglrx then yes you have to reinstall any time xorg or the kernel upgrades.

If you have nvidia use sgfxi which is installed if you use smxi.

All i do is upgrade the kernel as usual then run as root sgfxi -! 40 that way the nvidia driver is installed to the new kernel and its ready to go when i boot into it. It uses the same version of the driver that you already have in your current kernel.

Code: Select all

-! 40 Create modules for all your kernels (nVidia only). Will loop through and test
      each if can be made, then create the modules, excluding your running kernel.
      You must have already installed an nVidia driver with sgfxi to use -! 40
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Axalon

#3 Post by Axalon »

Well damn. I'm using fglrx drivers. I used to install the drivers that I got from ATI's site on Ubuntu but for some reason it doesn't work when I try it in Debian. Actually I may just not know what I'm doing since everything is so automated in Ubuntu. Whenever I try to install the drivers using ATI's installer and I reboot, it seems that they don't work and I end up having to re-install fglrx. I wonder if it's due to DKMS not being installed when I use the installer.. I've seen it mentioned that that part failed in the terminal.

cynwulf

#4 Post by cynwulf »

Follow this howto: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

The installer from ATI should work, but I've not tested 10.5 as yet, it's better to install 10.4 from the repos the "Debian way".