Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help me with my simple .deb package

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
NamelessOne

Help me with my simple .deb package

#1 Post by NamelessOne »

Hello. I want to build a simple .deb package for a plugin I built for audacious.

My problem is that I want to find out dynamically, during installation, where the audacious plugins folder is located. It is usually in /usr/lib/audacious/, but if installed from source, the default path is /usr/local/lib/audacious/. However, I think can only put my .so file in one location inside the .deb file. How can I fix this?

Also, lintian repots a syntax error on the first line of my description, even though there is a space before the description. I have attached the .deb for inspection.
Attachments
audacious-wikilyrics_0.1_all.deb.tar.gz
(51.77 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

stevepusser

Re: Help me with my simple .deb package

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure it's Debian policy to stay out of the /usr/local folders. Debs are installed as root and put their files in the main system. The conflict between this and the standard source method of installing into /local does lead to a lot of trouble. I would say stick to policy and advise users to use the debs of Audacious, or tell them how to manually create a symlink in /usr/local to your files if they have done a manual install.

If you choose to just manually distribute the debs, I'd create two different versions that install your plugin in the appropriate location.
MX Linux packager and developer

NamelessOne

Re: Help me with my simple .deb package

#3 Post by NamelessOne »

Thanks, I hadn't thought about symlinks as a solution to this problem! I will go this way then.