Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Your help with the basics.. to get me started

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ColtraneFan89

[solved] Your help with the basics.. to get me started

#1 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

First of all, hello. My name is Max and I am currently in Toronto, Ontario, Canada; I am very interested in setting up a laptop running Debian for the following purposes (listed in rough order of priority):

I - Visual art creation/photo editing; stuff like the GIMP but maybe something more advanced too (or possibly just a whole load of plugins for it)
II - Music production/sound editing; something like Ableton Live and something like Audacity (but again, as in the case of the GIMP maybe I just need a lot of plugins)
II.1 - a good music player for listening to music in both .ogg and .flac, but also mp3s and wavs.
III - Freeware gaming/internet browsing/IMing/p2p; I'm sure there is no shortage of fun freeware games, web browsers, or IM clients but I'm looking for a p2p client that can browse the SLSK network.
Postscript - I want to be able to customize the appearance of windows, buttons, etc. as much as possible.

So can you recommend a powerful enough, yet relatively inexpensive laptop that I can buy from a commercial outlet, i.e. Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. that would be ideal for these things, as well as the build of Debian that be best suited to it? (Please note that I wish to replace the version of the Windows OS on whichever machine with Debian, entirely)

Thank you for your time! I cannot wait until I become a Debian enthusiast like the rest of you here! =]
Last edited by ColtraneFan89 on 2010-06-19 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#2 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-23 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

ColtraneFan89

Re: Your help with the basics.. to get me started with Debian.

#3 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

llivv wrote:What is your price range for the new lappy?

Do you have Linux and or Debian install experience?

Which version of Debian do you think you'd be comfortable installing on your new machine? Lenny, Squeeze or Sid
-Preferably something like 270-500, preferably on the cheaper side.
-I do not have experience installing it but if I was given some straightforward directions, I think I'd be able to do it no problem.
-Probably Lenny, but I don't mind waiting until Squeeze is fully stable.

Edit: I think I will probably use KDE, not that it would make too much difference.

bmc5311

#4 Post by bmc5311 »

ColtraneFan89 wrote:
llivv wrote:-Probably Lenny, but I don't mind waiting until Squeeze is fully stable.
squeeze is pretty stable - if you're buying a new machine, squeeze will probably be an easier and less complicated install because it will (by default) install a newer kernel.

ColtraneFan89

#5 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

So what would a good laptop to use Squeeze be, for my requirements?

bmc5311

#6 Post by bmc5311 »

my order of preference, by brand -
- lenovo
- dell
- hp
i wouldn't go with anything less then an intel core 2 duo, 2.0 ghz or higher.

disclaimer - the above is my humble opinion only, other's here may have better suggestions :)

llivv

#7 Post by llivv »

Last edited by llivv on 2019-04-23 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

ColtraneFan89

#8 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

this is the one that sticks out the most.

possibly this one

this is also a candidate

Honestly, I'm game for whichever/whatever computer I get the most highly recommended. I just need something that will be fast, full of hard disk space, meets my originally specified requirements, that will be best suited for Squeeze.

bluesdog

#9 Post by bluesdog »

A friend owns a slightly different spec C60-227ca, which I've just updated to Squeeze, (with a smidgeon of Sid!)

It appears to be solidly built, and to run KDE4 quite well

An earlier Lenny install on the machine encountered a hiccup with the wireless. Oddly, the little switch above the unit's touchpad turned out to be the culprit, and once activated, the wireless worked very well indeed.

The upgrade to Squeeze, including grub-pc, was quite painless, and the laptop boots up and runs nicely. I'm not sure how good the battery is. The owner is somewhat negligent w/respect to running the unit regularly on battery power..

Also, while searching for a solution to the wireless weirdness, I discovered that HP machines have a BIOS white list for certain components, including the wireless card.

hth

ColtraneFan89

#10 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

Okay, I think I've settled on the CQ60-615DX. I'm just trying to find a Canadian retailer that carries one. I don't really want to have to order it to a family member's house in the states and have them forward it to me. Know of any good stores?

kce

#11 Post by kce »

If I may ask, is this your first experience with Linux?
More paranoid than AMLJ!

bluesdog

#12 Post by bluesdog »

Reviewing both the specs of the CQ60-615DX and my friend's 227CA unit: His has a dual-core, and nvidia graphics. iirc he paid @ $700 for it, at Staples.

As far as ordering online, I've personally had excellent service from NCIX'sVancouver branch. They also do price matching, so it pays to shop around a bit.

You might first want to check out your local retail shopfronts, such as Staples, and do some comparison shopping. Don't fall for the sales hustle, tho'

I doubt you'll find a decent dual-core processor model standard in that price range, but you may find a discontinued or refurbished unit at a good deal, at or near your budget.

If you find something that interests you, do an online search for the exact model, to avoid any gotchas.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

ColtraneFan89 wrote: II - Music production/sound editing; something like Ableton Live and something like Audacity (but again, as in the case of the GIMP maybe I just need a lot of plugins)
don't know about an Ableton alt (maybe via wine?) Audacity is available.
II.1 - a good music player for listening to music in both .ogg and .flac, but also mp3s and wavs.
many to choose from
III - Freeware gaming/internet browsing/IMing/p2p; I'm sure there is no shortage of fun freeware games, web browsers, or IM clients but I'm looking for a p2p client that can browse the SLSK network.
nicotine is a good slsk client
Postscript - I want to be able to customize the appearance of windows, buttons, etc. as much as possible.
again, too many choices to list
So can you recommend a powerful enough, yet relatively inexpensive laptop that I can buy from a commercial outlet, i.e. Future Shop, Best Buy, etc. that would be ideal for these things, as well as the build of Debian that be best suited to it? (Please note that I wish to replace the version of the Windows OS on whichever machine with Debian, entirely)

Thank you for your time! I cannot wait until I become a Debian enthusiast like the rest of you here! =]
have a look here http://wiki.debian.org/Hardware for some good hardware support info
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

ColtraneFan89

#14 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

kce wrote:If I may ask, is this your first experience with Linux?
Indeed it is.

ColtraneFan89

#15 Post by ColtraneFan89 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
ColtraneFan89 wrote: II - Music production/sound editing; something like Ableton Live and something like Audacity (but again, as in the case of the GIMP maybe I just need a lot of plugins)
don't know about an Ableton alt (maybe via wine?) Audacity is available.
many to choose from
nicotine is a good slsk client
again, too many choices to list

have a look here http://wiki.debian.org/Hardware for some good hardware support info
Thank you so much!

debil

#16 Post by debil »

ColtraneFan89 wrote:II - Music production/sound editing; something like Ableton Live and something like Audacity (but again, as in the case of the GIMP maybe I just need a lot of plugins)
ardour is a good DAW.
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.