Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Dazed and Confused

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Blackheart

Debian Dazed and Confused

#1 Post by Blackheart »

I'm confused, I used to operate a web server under Red Hat Linux 7.3 years ago with c-panel.
Now I am back, and I have set up a ubuntu server 10.4.
I admit, I have forgot a lot, but it also seems that things have changed so much I am confused.
Now having Ubuntu, I get sent to a link called Debian! Is that the same as having ubuntu? Or is it a package to be installed over what I have now? Or is it the same?
I'm sorry Im confused on this issue, but there are many years of learning I need to catch up on.

craigevil

Re: Debian Dazed and Confused

#2 Post by craigevil »

Ubuntu is not Debian, it is/was based on Debian, but Ubuntu is not binary compatible with Debian.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

StanTheMan

#3 Post by StanTheMan »

Ubuntu and Debian use the APT package install system as a base. Most repositiory applications will work on both systems.'
Ubuntu prefers to not use a Root GUI and you can work CLI in administrative mode with the command ' sudo ' which allows an installation with only one password
Debian insists on a Root password at installation in addition to a User password.
Ubuntu appears to have kept update with hardware more so than Debian .

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

StanTheMan wrote: Ubuntu appears to have kept update with hardware more so than Debian .
Huh? Xorg is newer in Debian, as are a lot of packages including lxde, gimp etc. The only thing ubuntu has that is newer is Gnome because they pull from upstream. Just search for all the articles oh how to install such and such on Ubuntu they all require a separate PPA to get recent versions of apps that are already in Debian.

inxi -F
System: Host craigevil Kernel 2.6.34-1.dmz.2-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit) Distro Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 (UP) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips 5585.53
Clock Speeds: (1) 2792.766 MHz (2) 2792.766 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia G96 [GeForce 9400 GT] X.Org 1.7.7 Res: 1280x1024@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 9400 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 256.35 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.22.1
Network: Card Intel 82562ET/EZ/GT/GZ - PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI at port dcc0 BusID: 03:08.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (20.9% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD1600JS 160.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 103G used: 31G (32%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 5.25GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Info: Processes 119 Uptime 20:05 Memory 303.7/2016.3MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.10
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
My Giant Sources.list

Absent Minded

#5 Post by Absent Minded »

I guess after that one might want to point out that Debian has a few branches:
Old-Stable
Stable
testing
Unstable (always named Sid by the way)
Experimental

... Have I missed any?
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

Absent Minded wrote:I guess after that one might want to point out that Debian has a few branches:
Old-Stable
Stable
testing
Unstable (always named Sid by the way)
Experimental

... Have I missed any?
Lunatic, what you get when you mix sid and experimental. :)
My Giant Sources.list

AnInkedSoul

#7 Post by AnInkedSoul »

...and incoming :wink:

Absent Minded

#8 Post by Absent Minded »

Now that i have quit laughing some.....

It is possible to set Debian up to use sudo just like Ubuntu during the install. Just requires one mouse click or one key pressed on the keyboard. Why one would want to do this is a bit beyond me but still, the option is there.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Telemachus

#9 Post by Telemachus »

Blackheart wrote:Now having Ubuntu, I get sent to a link called Debian! Is that the same as having ubuntu? Or is it a package to be installed over what I have now? Or is it the same?
Can you clarify something for me, please? In what context did you get this link, and what are you really trying to do?

Debian is a version of Linux (the kernel, GNU tools, some ethical guidelines and a package management system). Ubuntu is a newer version of Linux derived from Debian. (Sort of like Red Hat and Fedora.) But none of this matters if you are trying to deal with your server. Was there something more specific giving you trouble?
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

Telemachus

#10 Post by Telemachus »

@AnInkedSoul: This reminds me of Rickh's old avatar. Intentional?
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

AnInkedSoul

#11 Post by AnInkedSoul »

a bit offtopic aren't we...wasn't until after I uploaded that I thought about rickhs avatar....just thought breeding featherless chickens was cool....creepy...fugly....but cool...

so not intentional originally but maybe I unintentionally channeled a little rickh when I decided it would be a cool avatar