Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't mount drives

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Jonny87

Can't mount drives

#1 Post by Jonny87 »

Hi, just not long installed Debian Lenny and can't seem to mount my drives (an ext4 SATA drive and a NTFS usb pen drive). I was looking into it the other day and was under the impression that by installing a new kernel, it would fix the problem. I have just installed;
Linux-Image-2.6.32-bpo.5-686
Linux 2.6.32 for modern PCs
I then rebooted the machine into the new kernel and still no progress. I'm tempted to go back to Ubuntu 10.04 but would like to avoid it as I've just got things set up and on Debain and am almost out of download quoter.
What else do I need to do? I just want mount any drive just like I could in Ubuntu.

bugsbunny

Re: Can't mount drives

#2 Post by bugsbunny »

To mount the ext4 drive (assuming you want it always mounted and it's a fixed internal drive) add the appropriate entry to fstab.

For the ntfs drive first question is have you installed ntfs-3g?

How are you trying to mount the drive(s)? What Debian flavor? What Desktop?

Jonny87

#3 Post by Jonny87 »

bugsbunny wrote:To mount the ext4 drive (assuming you want it always mounted and it's a fixed internal drive) add the appropriate entry to fstab.

For the ntfs drive first question is have you installed ntfs-3g?

How are you trying to mount the drive(s)? What Debian flavor? What Desktop?
ext4
So if i add it fstab it should mount? Thats what i'm wanting anyway so i'll try that now.

ntfs
Yes ntfs-3g is installed, just done that while looking for solutions as i waited for so help. using Lenny with the Gnome desktop. just trying to mount from computer.

Jonny87

#4 Post by Jonny87 »

Jonny87 wrote: So if i add it fstab it should mount? Thats what i'm wanting anyway so i'll try that now.
This is working fine now.
Just got to get the ntfs drive to mount now.

Jonny87

#5 Post by Jonny87 »

Ok I've got it mounting by adding it to the fstab as well after some playing around with it.

Before I mark this thread solved though, I got one last issue. Root has permisson to the files inside, I ran the following;

Code: Select all

chown -R jonny /media/MyUSB30GB
chgrp -R jonny /media/MyUSB30GB
But that only gave me permission rights to the folders not the files.

bugsbunny

#6 Post by bugsbunny »

I assume you're talking about the ntfs drive here? See man ntfs-3g for options you can use. specifically, in this case, uid, gid, umask. Although I thought ntfs-3g gave r/w to everyone by default - but it's been a while since I've used it so may be remembering incorrectly.