Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Selective aptitude upgrade

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jasontan

Selective aptitude upgrade

#1 Post by jasontan »

My internet connectivity is not that fast. Since I am using Squeeze, there will be very frequent updates.

My problem is that I am not able to download all the update in one go and to complete the upgrade. As the number of files to be downloaded and upgraded increases, I can't seem to be able to reach the end point to complete any update.

Can aptitude upgrade just the files that have been downloaded so far, and resume downloading the rest in the next attempt? MS Windows will update the OS with whatever patches downloaded without waiting for the rest if I prematurely shutdown the pc.

craigevil

Re: Selective aptitude upgrade

#2 Post by craigevil »

Install cron-apt, it will run aptitude update, then it will download the packages, You can set it for what ever time you won't be on the pc. I have it set for 4am .
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Absent Minded

#3 Post by Absent Minded »

You can also have apt-get or aptitude just download the files to be installed later. Have a look at:

Code: Select all

man apt-get

and

man aptitude
for a list of availible options.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

jasontan

#4 Post by jasontan »

Absent Minded wrote:You can also have apt-get or aptitude just download the files to be installed later. Have a look at:

man apt-get

and

man aptitude
for a list of availible options.

694 packages upgraded, 56 newly installed, 45 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
My current situation is this. It would be unwieldy to have to download individually 700+ files. :-P

roseway

#5 Post by roseway »

If an upgrade is interrupted by an unreliable internet connection, the packages which have already been downloaded are saved in the cache, and don't have to be downloaded again. So if you run the upgrade several times in succession, eventually you will get all the upgradeable packages in the cache, and the upgrade will complete.
Eric

jasontan

#6 Post by jasontan »

roseway wrote:If an upgrade is interrupted by an unreliable internet connection, the packages which have already been downloaded are saved in the cache, and don't have to be downloaded again. So if you run the upgrade several times in succession, eventually you will get all the upgradeable packages in the cache, and the upgrade will complete.
This seems to be the only practical solution for me.

At the rate that I am going I may end up downloading 2 or more patches of the same application, before i finally reach the finishing line.

For example:
1st try - foobar-1.0.0-1 is available and downloaded but not processed until everything is downloaded
4th try - foobar-1.0.0-1 is now available and should be downloaded (again), along with the other unfinished downloads
8th try - foobar-1.0.0-2 is now available. foobar-1.0.0-1 and foobar-1.0.0-2 is sitting in cache waiting to be installed

At this rate, i'm still waiting to upgrade and foobar is still at 1.0.0-0.