Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

hopefully simple firmware issue

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
dpayne19

hopefully simple firmware issue

#1 Post by dpayne19 »

I'm new to debian, but not linux. I'm having an issue with my Ra link wireless card, version rt61pci. Right now the wireless doesn't work. When I run ifconfig wlan0 I get the follwing:

Code: Select all

base:~# ifconfig wlan0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
Here's the tail of dmesg after running ifconfig.

firmware: requesting rt2561s.bin
phy0 _-> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
It seems to be a lack of firmware. The firmware I think I need is firmware-ralink I have no internet connection so I can't install the package from the machine, however I downloaded the package from another comp and tried to install it from the tar file. This is where I run into problems, I don't know how to install it. There's no make file or anything. Just a few directories with *.bin files in them. I think what I need is to put the rt2561s.bin file some where, but I'm not sure where. Any help would be appreciated.

kad

Re: hopefully simple firmware issue

#2 Post by kad »

Download the deb package instead of the tar: in the same site you indicated, at the bottom of the page there is a link to the deb.

Install the deb running this command as root:

dpkg -i name_of_the_packge.deb