Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing on Apple PowerBook G4

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Big Damn Hero

Installing on Apple PowerBook G4

#1 Post by Big Damn Hero »

Hi, newbie Linux user here. Ran into a bunch of problems that I've no idea how to fix and GIS won't shed any particular light on. At least, not anywhere that I can understand.

Anyway, I've a decent understanding of the various Linux console commands and know how to work my way around a text editor or file system. But I can't seem to fix what's wrong with my computer. I'll list my info here and then discuss the most pressing issues that I need help with.

It's a 17" PowerBook G4, with Airport Extreme (which I understand is a headache all on its own: I'll likely get to that later)

Results of ~$ lspci:

Code: Select all

0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Intrepid2 AGP Bridge
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Intrepid2 AGP Bridge
0001:10:11.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
0001:10:14.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller
0001:10:15.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0001:10:15.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 43)
0001:10:15.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 04)
0001:10:17.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid Mac I/O
0002:24:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Intrepid2 PCI Bridge
0002:24:0d.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Intrepid2 ATA/100
0002:24:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Apple Computer Inc. Intrepid2 Firewire
0002:24:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. Intrepid2 GMAC (Sun GEM)
I downloaded the most recent .iso for the PowerPC from http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/, specifically the 4.4 GB DVD copy.

During installation, I told it to install only the Desktop Environment and Base System. Installation went through without a hitch, though it failed to connect properly to my Wireless card.

The first issue I encounter after booting is during the login. When logging in as a non-root user, I'm told to change my password immediately (root enforced). I've done this every time I've logged in. Immediately after when I log in I'm told that the system clock is wrong: It's currently set to Jan. 1, 1970. If I try to change it, I get a message saying that I can't, and my desktop won't load properly. If I ignore the system clock issue and try to change it in System > Administration > Time and Date later, after entering my admin password I get a message that says

Code: Select all

Failed to run time-admin as user root.

Failed to communicate with gksu-helper. 
Received:
 (current) UNIX password: e your password immediately 
(root enforced) 
Changing password for root. 

While expecting: 
gksu: waiting
Apparently the password issue is related to the Time and Date settings (according to Google), but I can't fix those because it wants me to change my password. So for this early problem: help please? :(

jheaton5

Re: Installing on Apple PowerBook G4

#2 Post by jheaton5 »

You may find some help at one of these sites.
debian sid