Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Full but empty trashcan

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
valeriana

Full but empty trashcan

#1 Post by valeriana »

I'm on Debian 6.0
and 4 TB of HDD
Compaq Presario 9000

Searched
Beginner's questions
Docs Howtos Tips & Tricks

my problem is I all of a sudden get a message on deleting files that the trashcan has reached its full capacity and needs to be emptied manually. After emptying the trashcan in Dolphin I still can't delete the files I want and get the same message again and again. I have shut down the computer before, but today that didn't seem to help at all. Also it seems a bit drastic to shut down the machine everytime this happens. Is there perhaps another 'manual' way of emptying the trashcan? I have found a post recommending to rm -in my case- the directory in question in the terminal, which worked, but it doesn't solve the trashcan problem. Anyone know of a solution to this one?

sossego

Re: Full but empty trashcan

#2 Post by sossego »

Open a terminal

Code: Select all

$su
Enter password.

# cd .local/share
It should be in here. If you don't immediately see it:

#ls -la|grep Trash
And it must be done from the $HOME/.local directory

#rm -rf path/to/Trash/*/*
That will clean it.
Let my desire and hope surpass my expectations;
And give me the strength to persevere through doubt.
Grant me the wisdom to exceed my bounds.
Let my eyes always see through the dream fog of childhood,
so that every moment may be treasured.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

Several options to consider:

1) Delete the files, rather than putting them in "trash." (Dolphin config allows you to add a "delete" option to your context menu. And of course [SHIFT-DELETE] deletes the currently selected file(s), rather than "trashing" them.)

2) Increase your "trash size." (But Dolphin normally reserves a hefty 10% of your hard disk/home partition for trash. See #4.)

3) If it's just the warning that's bugging you, there is once again a Dolphin config option to automatically delete the [oldest|largest] stuff in trash when it gets full.

4) If you're trying to delete more than 10% of your stuff (by size) at any one time, then perhaps your disk/partition is simply too full for its (or your) own good, and it's time to rethink your disk partitioning/space allocation scheme.

Also, for a generic/general problem such as this one, Google will give you better answers than a search of a Debian-specific forum.

valeriana

#4 Post by valeriana »

Thanks, guys! I'm gonna try this the next time I'm emptying the trashcan. I have also saved this page on my computer for future reference.

A bit on my computer. When I installed I put 60 GB on the HDD for the OS and 40 GB for /home. I guess it is from these 40 GB that the 10% comes, for the trashcan. If I had let the installation program decide I'd only get 10GB altogether. After installation I partitioned for huge files, medium and small. Then, until yesterday I put all of my data from discs to HDD, which meant throwing really big files (doubles) away. I don't think I'll be doing that as much now that everything is once again digitized, though I will probably throw small doubles away until retirement. Also I have a third disc I haven't opened yet. Is it possible to format a new partition after installation to replace the /home I'm using now? Maybe there's a textfile to edit. If not, I'll probably just up the trashcan to 20 percent. But just as a curiosity, does anyone know why the trashcan doesn't go blank when it's emptied?

Thanks again!

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

A couple of notes:

1) In all but the most extreme circumstances (like, you're planning on installing every package known to humanity), 60 GB for your OS is massively wasteful. You're going to end up with a lot of unused-and-unusable free space. So long as you load your personal stuff (and/or volatile data in general) on separate partitions, 20 GB should be more than enough for your OS.

2) Remember that any data you put on that currently-60-GB volume will get clobbered when/if you need to reinstall your OS.

These two points lead me to revisit my 4th point in my previous post: you should probably rethink your partitioning scheme.
valeriana wrote:Is it possible to format a new partition after installation to replace the /home I'm using now? Maybe there's a textfile to edit.
It's not quite that easy, but it's pretty close. But yes, you can move /home to your 3rd disk.