Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Just installed debian... how to get internet?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
debian_noob

[SOLVED] Just installed debian... how to get internet?

#1 Post by debian_noob »

Very, very new debian/linux user, please go easy. I have a modem connected to a wireless router which is how I'm using my netbook to write this post, and a desktop which I just installed debian on, and a wired connection from the desktop to the router. Internet was connecting fine on the desktop before debian, so the problem is definitely configuration. I'm pretty sure that this should be simple to fix, I just have no idea how to do it. I've checked the debian manual, along with some others, and am still not sure what I need to do. The manuals seem to assume a lot of a priori knowledge :/

Here is some of my terminal session, to give you an idea of what I've been looking at:

root@debian:/# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 debian.localdomain debian

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

root@debian:/# more /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
domain localdomain

root@debian:/# ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 50:e5:49:c2:cd:3f
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::52e5:49ff:fec2:cd3f/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:41 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:498 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:5588 (5.4 KiB) TX bytes:21132 (20.6 KiB)
Interrupt:29 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:661 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:661 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:80595 (78.7 KiB) TX bytes:80595 (78.7 KiB)

root@debian:/# more /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 127.0.0.0
broadcast 127.0.0.255
gateway 127.0.0.1
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1
dns-search localdomain

root@debian:/# hostname -i
root@debian:/# hostname -d
localdomain
root@debian:/# hostname
debian

# I don't appear to have a network manager program
root@debian:/# find /usr/share/doc/ -name net*
/usr/share/doc/netcat-traditional
/usr/share/doc/libgnomevfs2-common/html/networking.html
/usr/share/doc/netbase
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz
/usr/share/doc/net-tools

# No results for wicd either
root@debian:/# find /usr/share/doc/ -name *wicd*

# I do have ifupdown
root@debian:/# find / -name ifupdown
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown
/usr/share/ifupdown
/var/lib/update-rc.d/ifupdown
/etc/bash_completion.d/ifupdown
/etc/init.d/ifupdown
/etc/default/ifupdown

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Last edited by debian_noob on 2012-01-29 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Just installed debian... how to get internet?

#2 Post by bw123 »

debian_noob wrote:Very, very new debian/linux user, please go easy.
haha, you're doing good. You probably already figured it out. Make backups if you change those files or use a #comment so you can put stuff back the way it was.

You should probably just install a gui thing if you have a desktop. You can check out aptitude to see what's installed, not much help without a connection though. What did you install, and how did you install it? Always let people know what version you are using, and some hardware details. Have fun.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debian_noob

#3 Post by debian_noob »

bw123 wrote:
haha, you're doing good. You probably already figured it out. Make backups if you change those files or use a #comment so you can put stuff back the way it was.

You should probably just install a gui thing if you have a desktop. You can check out aptitude to see what's installed, not much help without a connection though. What did you install, and how did you install it? Always let people know what version you are using, and some hardware details. Have fun.
Ah yes, I installed Gnome - didn't need internet for that, though - it came on the CD image I used. I'm using Debian 6.0.3 for an AMD 64 processor. I really don't know how to set up the connection!

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the tips. 'aptitude search' seems useful. I have been editing some of the configuration files (I changed the domain name to 'localdomain' and have tried some different IP addresses for 'nameserver'). From now on I'll comment or back up the old stuff first though.
Last edited by debian_noob on 2012-01-29 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

debian_noob wrote:
bw123 wrote:

Ah yes, I installed Gnome - didn't need internet for that, though - it came on the CD image I used. I'm using Debian 6.0.3 for an AMD 64 processor. I really don't know how to set up the connection!
Maybe comment out the references to eth0 in your /etc/network/interfaces and networkmanager will work? that app has a config somewhere too that has a managed=true/false setting, I don't use it, but it's a common problem. Search the forum here, there's a network wiki too that is pretty current.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debian_noob

#5 Post by debian_noob »

bw123 wrote:
Maybe comment out the references to eth0 in your /etc/network/interfaces and networkmanager will work? that app has a config somewhere too that has a managed=true/false setting, I don't use it, but it's a common problem. Search the forum here, there's a network wiki too that is pretty current.
Thanks, thanks. I'm over at the network wiki now. I just used a USB to transfer the network manager program over to the desktop. Now I'm working on installing it....

UPDATE: After extracting the file, I tried using ./configure in the file's directory, and got the error: 'no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH'. So after the command 'apt-get install gcc', the computer is now telling me I need to insert the Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.3 _Squeeze_ CD. Unfortunately I only have my netbook, which doesn't have a CD drive. So now to see if I can do it with just a USB...

UPDATE 2: Ah, 'squeeze' is apparently just a codename for debian. I was able to get gcc installed just by reinserting my debian CD. Now there's a new problem with installing network manager: I apparently need intltool 0.40.0 or later...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

debian_noob wrote:Thanks, thanks. I'm over at the network wiki now. I just used a USB to transfer the network manager program over to the desktop. Now I'm working on installing it....

UPDATE: After extracting the file, I tried using ./configure in the file's directory,
Seems you are looking at the wrong wiki.
Put down the compiler and back slowly away from the PC ...

Try this:
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debian_noob

#7 Post by debian_noob »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
debian_noob wrote:Thanks, thanks. I'm over at the network wiki now. I just used a USB to transfer the network manager program over to the desktop. Now I'm working on installing it....

UPDATE: After extracting the file, I tried using ./configure in the file's directory,
Seems you are looking at the wrong wiki.
Put down the compiler and back slowly away from the PC ...

Try this:
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
Thanks, that IS the wiki I'm looking at! I'm also using this one: http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager to try to install the network manager.

UPDATE 3: Installed intltool 0.40.6 fine, now back to installing the network manager. After ./configure, I get the error: 'GNU gettext tools not found; required for intltool'. Does it ever end???

UPDATE 4: gettext tools installed... now I get the error: 'wireless-tools or libiw development headers >= 28pre9 not installed or not functional'.

vbrummond

#8 Post by vbrummond »

You do not have to compile anything, lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. So what is the setup? Ethernet? If so all you probably have to do is plug the ethernet cable in, open a root terminal, and run:

Code: Select all

dhclient eth0
Then you can configure the package manager and install network-manager. But one step at a time.
Always on Debian Testing

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Again, why are you trying to compile stuff?
Debian is a binary distribution.

As per the wiki, set your interfaces file to configure your eth0, either automatically with dhcp, or static with suitable values for your network.

Once you have a connection, install nm & whatever else you like with a package manager of choice.

edit: snap!
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

debian_noob

#10 Post by debian_noob »

vbrummond wrote:You do not have to compile anything, lets not make a mountain out of a molehill. So what is the setup? Ethernet? If so all you probably have to do is plug the ethernet cable in, open a root terminal, and run:

Code: Select all

dhclient eth0
Then you can configure the package manager and install network-manager. But one step at a time.
vbrummond, that was it! That was all I needed to do! How did you know??

dasein

#11 Post by dasein »

debian_noob wrote:That was all I needed to do! How did you know??
No doubt about it... vbrummond has magical powers. (Stay on his good side.)

@OP -> As a courtesy to others, please edit the subject line of your initial post and add the word [SOLVED].