Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NVIDIA FX 5200

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
khashayar

NVIDIA FX 5200

#1 Post by khashayar »

Hi, I know this is the most hated topic for several 100’s reason but I really need help
I installed Debian squeeze recently but unfortunately I can’t find the proper solution to install the Nvidia Fx 5200, there are several tutorial’s explain how to do it but I end up with black screen and nothing more “since I’m newbie in this I had to reinstall Debian” and frankly I’m frustrated. Can you please help me on how to install the appreciate driver? or give me the link for tutorial.
Regards
khashayar

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NVIDIA FX 5200

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS

I think your chip needs a -legacy version (173...)
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

khashayar

#3 Post by khashayar »

Thanks for reply
here is where i confuse
[/quote]Configure your kernel. This step isn't documented here; if you need to learn how, see the kernel-package documentation. But in summary, what you have to do is
$ cd /usr/src/linux
# make xconfig
in /usr/src/linux <-- the linux folder is not there what i have followings are what i have in that path

root@something:/usr/src# ls
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686 linux-kbuild-2.6.32 nvidia-kernel.tar.bz2
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common modules
please advise

Thanks

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Use DKMS

This is the easiest method and recommended unless you have some reason to not want to install a compiler.

All you need to do is install the kernel headers package for the Linux image that you're running (usually named linux-headers-<version> where <version> is whatever version of kernel you're running) and then install nvidia-kernel-dkms or the nvidia-kernel-legacy-...-dkms package for the legacy version of the drivers that you need.

DKMS will take care of the build and install process automatically.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Praxis

#5 Post by Praxis »

khashayar, the Wiki page could have been clearer, you are trying to use two separate methods, DKMS & manually building a custom kernel. This is the section you want:

Code: Select all

Use DKMS

This is the easiest method and recommended unless you have some reason to not want to install a compiler.

All you need to do is install the kernel headers package for the Linux image that you're running (usually named linux-headers-<version> where <version> is whatever version of kernel you're running) and then install nvidia-kernel-dkms or the nvidia-kernel-legacy-...-dkms package for the legacy version of the drivers that you need.

DKMS will take care of the build and install process automatically.
So the first thing you want to do is install the linux-headers package for your kernel. Possibly this:

root@something:~#
apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686

Then install the dkms package:

root@something:~#
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms

Make sure that your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file points to the nvidia driver. http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDr ... dia_driver

It is probably sufficient if your /etc/X11/xorg.conf looks like this:

Code: Select all

Section "Module"
    Load        "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Video Card"
    Driver              "nvidia"
EndSection
That should be sufficient to get you in to the GUI. Unfortunately getting the proper resolution in Linux is often a bit of a PITA. You can use the 'xwininfo' terminal command, then tap your mouse on an empty part of your desktop to see if the recognized resolution is the proper one for your monitor. But once you can log in the graphical user interface you can use IRC to ask for help dialing in your settings. #debian or #smxi on irc.oftc.net are good places to ask around. Good luck.

dzz

#6 Post by dzz »

Proprietary graphics drivers can be a curse for more experienced users too. FX 5200 is in my main machine only because it arrived as free junk.

sgfxi, although not official-debian-supported, is popular for good reason. It will autodetect the right driver (173.14.31), download it, build a module for the standard running kernel and set up xorg.conf

http://smxi.org/

ike.suncat

#7 Post by ike.suncat »

I use FX 5200 card i install this card like this:

$ wget -c http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... 9-pkg1.run
$ sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.39-pkg1.run
$ ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.39-pkg1.run

It build a module for using Kernel... tested on Debian Wheezy,Xubuntu,and Backtrack*

*in Backtrack as a diferent way to install...

Hope this will help you guys... Regards