bash: make: command not found

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: bash: make: command not found

Postby hmazuji » 2012-07-04 22:16

you did not reply directly to vbrummond, who pretty much spoonfed you the "answer"...

i think i did pretty good by going to synaptic package manager and installing autogen

still couldn't run it because vbrummond didn't spoon feed me the directory where autogen can be found.

root@debian:/home/lou/Downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.10# ./autogen.sh --program-suffix=pixmamx320
bash: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory

let's start one step at a time. where and how and why do i run the autogen command ? where is the interpreter suppose to look for autogen ?
hmazuji

Postby vbrummond » 2012-07-04 22:21

Why are people mentioning me!?
Always on Debian Testing
vbrummond

Postby hmazuji » 2019-04-18 17:00

JohnDeere730 wrote:Methinks the OP is a wee bit confused.... :roll: ...
@hmazuji...wow, what else can I say....you can't run a program you haven't installed. Aptitude and apt-get are merely package (program) mangers that actually manage programs :shock: FYI, (programs are called packages in Linux-land). Both of the excellent suggestions offered to you will either install all the compiling tools, including make; (the build-essential package), suggested by Edbarx, whilst Debil's suggestion will only install the make program......

BTW, your snippy response to the two helpful gentlemen may be construed as a bit arrogant, but I am sure that was not your intention......

PS; do you have any faint idea of what you are actually attempting to do, or are you just a cut & paste commando?

it's not me, it's linux

i guess i'd have to say that i'm somewhere in between. the reason why i am snippy is because i don't like being a cut and paste commando
sorry about the delay in getting back to you. i just now upgraded my pc from a 4400+ to a 2700 (although the numbers are going down), and have a 4 boot pc with virtualbox on top of that. so right now, i'm a pretty happy camper. and i'm not running win 10, so i am very happy
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2019-04-18 17:02

vbrummond wrote:Why are people mentioning me!?

we just want to make sure your're still around, that's all. seven years is a long time. anything could have happened
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2019-04-18 17:10

hmazuji wrote:
you did not reply directly to vbrummond, who pretty much spoonfed you the "answer"...

i think i did pretty good by going to synaptic package manager and installing autogen
still couldn't run it because vbrummond didn't spoon feed me the directory where autogen can be found.
root@debian:/home/lou/Downloads/cnijfilter-source-3.10# ./autogen.sh --program-suffix=pixmamx320
bash: ./autogen.sh: No such file or directory
let's start one step at a time. where and how and why do i run the autogen command ? where is the interpreter suppose to look for autogen ?

so this is an update: i upgraded to a new pc just now, to a 2700, samsung m.2, gskill 16G. everything is running like greased lightning. i had some other issues, and now everything is ship shape and bristol fashion. thank God for new hardware. so i'm multibooting mint, debian, mx, and win 7. i still have my linux cdroms, but they're pretty much useless. i retired my old desktop to the electric heap at the landfill. it is the dawn of a new era
hmazuji

Postby sunrat » 2019-04-18 22:23

7 years must be just about a record for zombie post resurrection! Congratulations on your new computer with less numbers. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions