bash: make: command not found

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: bash: make: command not found

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 03:40

confuseling wrote:Try

Code: Select all
# echo "I'm sorry I doubted you" > http://forums.debian.net

i am familiar with the echo command. nice try.
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 03:50

JohnDeere730 wrote:IIRC, you are trying to get an mx320 going, right? If so, go here, download the cnijfilter-mx320series-3.10-1-i386-deb.tar.gz file, extract it, open a root terminal, cd to cnijfilter-mx320series-3.10-1-i386-deb/packages and run:

dpkg -i --force-architecture *.deb

Note that the force-architecture option is if you are installing it into a 64-bit system, if yours is 32-bit, omit the --force-architecture flag. Whether this will allow your printer to work, I know not, but at least have the cnijfilter-crap installed you will.

Hope this helps, if not, mail your printer to Canon with instructions to shove it up their ass and go buy a real printer. When people stop buying crap that is not supported by their choice of OS, the sooner the vendors will get with the program, or go out of business. I'm ok with either option.

i completely empathize. but it's not my printer. it belongs to a customer. i installed debian for them, grub, open office, the internet, corrected the problem with missing menu items, etc. this is the only thing left. i was under the impression that i would be able to install the driver from source code. i wasn't aware that the source code was architecture dependent.

i was also unaware that i'd run into so many issues. many take offense to this statement, but it is what it is. i've used unix in a protected environment, so i've never run into issues like this. i don't mind issues; as you see, i'm trying to work them out. i'm ok with it being a learning experience.

thanks.
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 03:53

Issyer wrote:Why to compile a printer driver from source when deb packages should be available somewhere?

they aren't available for this printer for 64 bit architecture. available are 32 bit drivers and the source code.

this question was addressed in the thread i provided in a previous post. grep for pixma 320 in this thread.
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 04:01

i'm lost.
what does op stand for ? i keep reading that, and don't have a clue.
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 04:07

JohnDeere730 wrote:No big...I wonder why the OP didn't just use these .debs instead of mucking around with the source code; I have to admit I couldn't compile it either, although since my give-a-crap factor was low, I didn't expend a lot of effort, either.

i can tell your give-a-crap factor is low, but that isn't my problem.

if you read the very first post, and bothered to reference the webmonkey link, you'll see that i decided to install using source code under advisement.
hmazuji

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 04:11

Issyer wrote:Because he's a newbie.

thank you for that. now that i know what the problem really is, i'll be able to take corrective measures.
hmazuji

Postby JohnDeere730 » 2012-05-10 04:35

OP=Original Poster, in this case, that would be you. Your belligerent attitude is not helpful. The .debs I pointed you to are indeed 32-bit, but if you had read my post, you would note that you can sometimes install 32-bit .debs on a 64-bit system with the --force-architecture flag. I successfully installed them on my machine, running Debian 64-bit stable, with no errors. Whether they will get the printer to work, I can't tell, since I don't have an mx320, but at least they are installed.

hmazuji wrote:
JohnDeere730 wrote:No big...I wonder why the OP didn't just use these .debs instead of mucking around with the source code; I have to admit I couldn't compile it either, although since my give-a-crap factor was low, I didn't expend a lot of effort, either.

i can tell your give-a-crap factor is low, but that isn't my problem.

Correct; you have enough problems as it is, however.

hmazuji wrote:if you read the very first post, and bothered to reference the webmonkey link, you'll see that i decided to install using source code under advisement.

Your "advisement" was ill-advised, since you do not know how to compile code. As Issyer and I both pointed out, pre-compiled .debs are available. Use them or not, as you choose.

Well, look at that, my Patented Give-a-shit-o-meter just officially pegged at zero, which by a happy coincidence, coincided with me losing interest in helping an arrogant poster who can't be bothered to do his homework, but yet can seem to find time to heap abuse and attitude on people trying to help. You do know we don't get paid, right? My advice; go back to windows, where folks at the call-center in Bangalore get paid to deal with attitude and insolence.
JohnDeere730

Postby JohnDeere730 » 2012-05-10 04:42

vbrummond wrote:Well though the fellow may have needed make regardless; He is trying to run './configure' and 'make' in a folder with no 'configure'. I had to cd to a cnijfilter folder and then the install docs read:
To build and install cif command:

./autogen.sh --program-suffix=<Printer Model Name>
        make
        make install

* You can set the following <Printer Model Name>.
            mx860 , mx320 , mx330

Example mx860:

./autogen.sh --program-suffix=mx860
        make
        make install

Appendix:

* You can also set the following path.
           --prefix
                cif command (ex.cifmx860)                : default ... /usr/local
           --enable-libpath
                *.conf,*.tbl(ex.cifmx860.conf)           : default ... /usr/lib/bjlib

Example:

./autogen.sh --program-suffix=mx860 --enable-libpath=/usr/lib/bjlib
           make
           make install

Edit I was able to compile sucessfully. Though I stress to the op to use checkinstall instead of 'make install'. Make sure you first install checkinstall from the debian repos.

:lol: Fancy that....reading instructions! What a novel idea....you may have started a fad, but I doubt it.
JohnDeere730

Postby JohnDeere730 » 2012-05-10 04:52

Update: Despite the OP's snippy attitude, I became interested in the problem itself. As I said, I successfully installed the 32-bit .debs on my 64-bit machine. Just for giggles, I went to localhost:631 and was able to "install" the mx320. I then removed the afore-mentioned .debs and successfully compiled and installed the source-code referenced by the OP. Again, success with "installing" the mx320 in CUPS. So it can indeed be done fairly easily when you don't let hubris get in the way.
JohnDeere730

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 22:55

vbrummond wrote:Well though the fellow may have needed make regardless; He is trying to run './configure' and 'make' in a folder with no 'configure'. I had to cd to a cnijfilter folder and then the install docs read:
To build and install cif command:

./autogen.sh --program-suffix=<Printer Model Name>
        make
        make install

* You can set the following <Printer Model Name>.
            mx860 , mx320 , mx330

Example mx860:

./autogen.sh --program-suffix=mx860
        make
        make install

Appendix:

* You can also set the following path.
           --prefix
                cif command (ex.cifmx860)                : default ... /usr/local
           --enable-libpath
                *.conf,*.tbl(ex.cifmx860.conf)           : default ... /usr/lib/bjlib

Example:

./autogen.sh --program-suffix=mx860 --enable-libpath=/usr/lib/bjlib
           make
           make install

Edit I was able to compile sucessfully. Though I stress to the op to use checkinstall instead of 'make install'. Make sure you first install checkinstall from the debian repos.

i'm not sure what the autogen program does, but i'm reading
http://autogen.sourceforge.net/
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/har ... gen.1.html
and
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix ... re/single/

i'm going to figure out why i need to run autogen to install a printer driver.
or why i need to run autogen to then be able to make or configure.

or, alternatively, i could just run the commands ad hoc and see what happens.

let me experiment with this, and i'll get back with you shortly.
hmazuji

Postby JohnDeere730 » 2012-05-10 23:09

hmazuji wrote: blah blah blah; or, alternatively, i could just run the commands ad hoc and see what happens.

:lol: That's the spirit; a Cut&Paste Commando. Don't bother figuring out what you're doing and why, just cut & paste randomly and see what happens. Even a chicken pecking at corn on a keyboard will occasionally, completely accidentally accomplish something. :roll:

hmazuji wrote:let me experiment with this, and i'll get back with you shortly.

We'll be waiting with bated breath.... :lol:
JohnDeere730

Postby hmazuji » 2012-05-10 23:15

JohnDeere730 wrote:Update: Despite the OP's snippy attitude, I became interested in the problem itself. As I said, I successfully installed the 32-bit .debs on my 64-bit machine. Just for giggles, I went to localhost:631 and was able to "install" the mx320. I then removed the fore-mentioned .debs and successfully compiled and installed the source-code referenced by the OP. Again, success with "installing" the mx320 in CUPS. So it can indeed be done fairly easily when you don't let hubris get in the way.

dear john,
you are fixated with this hubris thing. that's fascinating because it has nothing to do with this tread. what's funny is that i had heard that if someone is antagonizing you it's because they have a trait that you find familiar.

since this is a support site, let's just stick to the issues.
i've never used cups, although i recall a post discussing it. i've seen the localhost thing before, but wasn't sure what localhost had to do with installing print drivers.

to appease you, i'll read the man pages for cups, if i have time, and also localhost.

i've never heard of .debs i have no experience with that at all.

let me investigate these suggestions, along with vbrummond's suggestions, and let me get back to you.

thanks.
hmazuji

Postby JohnDeere730 » 2012-05-10 23:24

hmazuji wrote:
JohnDeere730 wrote:Update: Despite the OP's snippy attitude, I became interested in the problem itself. As I said, I successfully installed the 32-bit .debs on my 64-bit machine. Just for giggles, I went to localhost:631 and was able to "install" the mx320. I then removed the fore-mentioned .debs and successfully compiled and installed the source-code referenced by the OP. Again, success with "installing" the mx320 in CUPS. So it can indeed be done fairly easily when you don't let hubris get in the way.

dear john,
you are fixated with this hubris thing. that's fascinating because it has nothing to do with this tread. what's funny is that i had heard that if someone is antagonizing you it's because they have a trait that you find familiar.

since this is a support site, let's just stick to the issues.
i've never used cups, although i recall a post discussing it. i've seen the localhost thing before, but wasn't sure what localhost had to do with installing print drivers.

to appease you, i'll read the man pages for cups, if i have time, and also localhost.

i've never heard of .debs i have no experience with that at all.

let me investigate these suggestions, along with vbrummond's suggestions, and let me get back to you.

thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Please stop! My sides are hurting from rolling on the floor laughing. You can't be for real....Nomko, is that you in disguise? You are too much! You can actually say you don't know what a .deb is with a straight face?

Don't bother reading the man pages for CUPS, it won't do you any good. It would be akin to explaining Quantum Theory to a caveman. There is no man page for localhost, since it is a place, not a command......but you already know that, right?

Man, oh man....the Gerber Section is such a good idea. :roll:
JohnDeere730

Postby cynwulf » 2012-05-11 07:43

hmazuji wrote:let me investigate these suggestions, along with vbrummond's suggestions, and let me get back to you.

Ah finally... I just read several of your snotty replies there, none of which were relevant, but you did not reply directly to vbrummond, who pretty much spoonfed you the "answer"... Most source code comes with documentation - either way there is documentation somewhere, that documentation would have mentioned running an autogen.sh instead of a configure script.
cynwulf

Postby dasein » 2012-05-11 15:30

I know that it's far, far too late for this, but it needs doing...

dasein

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions