Crunchbang user welcome?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Crunchbang user welcome?

Postby sgamao » 2012-06-16 12:07

Hallo everyone here, i'm a the newest, until this moment at least.
I'd like to know if any Crunchbang user is also welcome here. I hope so considering that the distro it's totally based upon Debian (and proudly).
I'm not an expert at all, and that's why it was much easier for me to install Crunchbang on my machine.

Well, regards and speak to you soon.
sgamao

Re: Crunchbang user welcome?

Postby craigevil » 2012-06-16 12:26

Crunchbang is that way >>>>>>> CrunchBang Linux Forums : http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/

Based on Debian is not the same as Debian.
Debian Sid KDE Kernel 3.17 Thinkpad R40 Intel M 1.3 CPU 2GB RAM Radeon Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
craigevil

Postby saulgoode » 2012-06-16 14:09

If you have an interest in the Debian project then you are welcome.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan
saulgoode

Postby hhh » 2012-06-16 14:27

Crunchbang has it's own forums and the #! forums in general have more helpful answers given out by more helpful, friendlier, more patient, more mature members, with this forum's vbrummond being a notable exception.

Crunchbang is either just Debian stable (Statler) or Debian testing (Waldorf) preconfigured, via the Debian Live Project, with Openbox, tint2 and some packages from the non-free repositories and deb-multimedia.org like wireless drivers, flash and libdvdcss2. The only non-Debian packages added to it for ease of use or prettiness that I can think of are xcompmgr-dana and cairo-compmgr in statler, compton in waldorf, and volume-icon and the cb-welcome script in both.

This forum has a few former or current #! users that I can think of, including me (former), ivanovnegro and el_koraco (both distro-hoppers who keep returning to Debian, so no telling what they're running today). I have noticed that both of those guys have stopped posting in these forums, you can draw your own conclusions for the reasons why.
hhh

Postby Randicus » 2012-06-16 23:58

hhh wrote:Crunchbang has it's own forums and the #! forums in general have more helpful answers given out by more helpful, friendlier, more patient, more mature members, with this forum's vbrummond being a notable exception.

vbrummond may be an exception(?), but I can think of several people here who provide helpful and detailed answers.

As saulgoode stated,
saulgoode wrote:If you have an interest in the Debian project then you are welcome.
Randicus

Postby hhh » 2012-06-17 00:29

I didn't say may, I said being. It's my own opinion, obviously. Of course there are others. What I see here, though, is a bunch of negative posts, and then those posters complain about the time they took to "volunteer" that non-information. It would be more economical of the responder's time to just post something useful to the OP, or to not post at all.

-edit- case in point... we're way off topic now.
hhh

Postby nadir » 2012-06-17 23:16

Most active topic:
What does your desktop look like?
(42 Posts / 5.75% of user’s posts)

Most active topic:
What does your desktop look like?
(23 Posts / 24.21% of user’s posts)

and el_koraco can't be found (i expect a similar result).

You can drive your own conclusions. :wink:

--
I hope those forums are also mature enough to accept posts we have just seen (instead of simply deleting them, banning users, etc) That doesn't make this forum any better than it is, sure...

--
I for one don't care which distro someone uses, but i am not sure if i was asked at all (I am not in the position to welcome or not welcome anyone. Still: As far i am concerned anyone is welcome).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.
nadir

Postby cynwulf » 2012-06-18 08:30

hhh wrote:Crunchbang has it's own forums and the #! forums in general have more helpful answers given out by more helpful, friendlier, more patient, more mature members

You mean that they have less of this kind of thing?

hhh wrote:must... resist... facepalm...
cynwulf

Postby richard1558 » 2012-06-20 22:10

cynwulf wrote:
hhh wrote:Crunchbang has it's own forums and the #! forums in general have more helpful answers given out by more helpful, friendlier, more patient, more mature members

You mean that they have less of this kind of thing?

hhh wrote:must... resist... facepalm...

:shock:

:lol:

On topic:
Yes, anyone is welcome.
However, asking for support on this forum for your distro is something else...

I wouldn't expect support from the [Insert distro here, except Debian] forums related to Debian issues.
richard1558

Return to Beginners Questions