Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wifi printer+fax+scanner combo: what's supported?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mzzxx11

wifi printer+fax+scanner combo: what's supported?

#1 Post by mzzxx11 »

I'm consider buying one of these combo wifi combo printers, but what's supported by debian?.

A main consideration for me is ease of setup: I really dont want to start messing with config files, downloading drivers, and endless hours of trial and error.

Suggestions?

TIA

dasein

Re: wifi printer+fax+scanner combo: what's supported?

#2 Post by dasein »

All things being equal, HP is your best bet. They have been quietly and capably supporting Linux for years on most of their hardware.

That said, all-in-one combo units range from the very simple to the very elaborate. You're going to have to decide what features you need, which models support those needs, and then check for Linux support. (HP's Web site is very good about identifying the level of Linux support for various units.)

Many people report not being able to scan via WiFi using Linux. The make/model of the printer does not seem to be a factor in this limitation, so I'm guessing it's something fairly low-level. Not saying that there aren't workarounds; just saying it seems to be a fairly common problem.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Go to the Printer Compatibility Database. http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... abaseintro Choose this link http://www.openprinting.org/printers. Choose "List by Manufacturer."

Alternatively, install CUPS (you will need it anyway) and do a trial setup so that you can look at the list of available printers.

Having noted that, HP is usually on the list. A printer that works off Wifi is nice.

Almost any printer can be made to work but you will find it easier to choose something on the list.

Beware of any "Windows Printer" or any salesman who tries to sell you one. "Windows Printer" is a pseudonym for host driven which means it runs off your CPU. They are a pig to get running on Linux and use up too much of your computer resources. Fortunately they aren't very common any more.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Bulkley wrote:Go to the Printer Compatibility Database.
[snuip]
Choose "List by Manufacturer."
The resource bulkley points to is a very good one, but it is also quite often a bit out of date. Newer models are frequently conspicuously absent.