Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

can i move my SSD from old to new laptop without formatting?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
followurdrmz

can i move my SSD from old to new laptop without formatting?

#1 Post by followurdrmz »

Hi Debians,
I have been using debian from the past 3 years on a dell inspiron 1520 (2007 model). Yesterday i bought a dell inspiron 5548 (Early 2015). I have and ssd drive in old laptop that i want to move to the new laptop. To my knowledge i think i can replace the 1TB hard drive on new laptop with ssd, remove or reinstall or update drivers so the ssd will just run fine on new laptop without having to reinstall all the stuff and customization. Should i recompile the kernel in linux for new hardware? AFA windows 7(Dual booting Debian 8 and Windows 7), i think removing and reinstalling drivers will work fine.
Hardware: Old laptop specs: - New laptop
-------------------- - ---------------
Processor: Core 2 duo 2Ghz - Core i5 5th gen. 5200U
RAM: DDR2 667MHz - DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics: Intel GMA X3100 - Intel 5500 / AMD M265 2GB Graphics
Chipset: Mobile Intel GM965 Express chipset - Intel 9 series chipset

I need suggestions guys..
Last edited by followurdrmz on 2015-06-30 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

edbarx

Re: can i move my SSD from old to new laptop without formatt

#2 Post by edbarx »

As one who has done that successfully in the past, I will try to answer your question.

First and foremost, backup your data. Second, whether your new machine will successfully boot depends on the old and new machine type of hardware. If they belong to the same hardware type, you should be able to boot your new machine with the old installation. Be also aware that new machines are UEFI based and they may have secure boot enabled. If the old machine did not use secure boot or UEFI, you should be able to boot.

So, the first thing to suggest is to disable secure boot, then try your new concoction.

In short:
Old = BIOS ====>> disable secure boot on new machine
Old = UEFI ====>> check if old machine used secure boot and set up new machine accordingly.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You will have to disable Secure Boot (as edbarx intimates).

Also, the network interface names will change (ie, "wlan0" will be "wlan1" & "eth0" will be "eth1", etc) because the MAC address for your cards will be different so you may have to edit /etc/network/interfaces if you use ifupdown to connect.
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1 :D
deadbang

followurdrmz

#5 Post by followurdrmz »

Thank you guys for ur valuable suggestions. Moving the ssd drive to a new laptop was successful after reinstalling drivers in windows 7 and backing up files in debian. Unfortunately, intel realsense and some other drivers were not available for windows 7. So I had to switch to windows 8.1 and about linux, everything went smooth until i messed up trying to install amd radeon graphics drivers. Now i know it is possible but eventually took more time than to make a new install.

In the process learned to dual boot Windows 8.1 SL and Debian Jessie in UEFI mode. So everythings running smooth except drivers for DLL0641 touchpad and AMD Radeon R7 265m Graphics in Jessie.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang