Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Connection refused with mergerfs in /etc/fstab?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
CuddlyBunny

Connection refused with mergerfs in /etc/fstab?

#1 Post by CuddlyBunny »

Hi,

I just set up my new linux (debian 8.6 jessie) server yesterday. With my providers setup system I installed the OS, partitioned and formatted the first drive.
There was no option to do the second one aswell so I did that one manually afterwards by running fdisk and mkfs afterwards. (I'm not using RAID or LVM.)

This was my /etc/fstab after the most basic setup. I didn't change anything else:

Code: Select all

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1 during Installation (RescueSystem)
UUID=36ace109-0cec-48c8-8352-3c61274173bb none swap sw 0 0
# /dev/sda2 during Installation (RescueSystem)
UUID=3e7fef70-8870-45b3-89f0-d2a4637025d8 /boot ext3 defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda3 during Installation (RescueSystem)
UUID=1df53214-d1cd-41ed-a56a-92e7c55e4504 / ext4 defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda5 during Installation (RescueSystem)
UUID=1bd0be6a-9173-4913-96e6-f92854deef06 /mnt/hdd1 ext4 defaults 0 0
# /dev/sdb1 manually
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/hdd2 ext4 defaults 0 0
Now since I want to pool my HDDs with mergerfs I installed it like this:

wget https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs/releases/download/2.17.0/mergerfs_2.17.0.debian-jessie_amd64.deb
dpkg -i mergerfs_2.17.0.debian-jessie_amd64.deb
rm mergerfs*.deb
... and added this line to /etc/fstab:

/mnt/hdd1:/mnt/hdd2 /virtual fuse.mergerfs category.create=eplfs,moveonenospc=true,defaults,allow_other,minfreespace=16G,fsname=mergerfsPool 0 0
After that I rebooted and the server wouldn't come back up (i.e. 'Connection refused' in PuTTy). So I sent the server into rescue mode (a system from my provider) and commented out that line.
Server now boots again but I don't have the slightest clue why. Does anyone have experience with mergerfs and can tell me what I did wrong?

I don't have proper experience with linux. Usually just doing what Google tells me, but with this one I'm stumped.

Cheers
- Bunny

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Connection refused with mergerfs in /etc/fstab?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I have not tried mergerfs but the github page example only uses "defaults,allow_other" in the options, have you tried that?

Otherwise, perhaps 2.17 has a new bug; version 2.16 is available from Debian testing, I threw the files in an OBS repository and they seem to have built fine for a Debian jessie system:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=mergerfs

I haven't bothered renaming the package to reflect the backported status so you will have to remove it manually beforehand if you ever attempt a `dist-upgrade` to stretch.
deadbang

CuddlyBunny

Re: Connection refused with mergerfs in /etc/fstab?

#3 Post by CuddlyBunny »

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions. The options I have in there shouldn't create such extreme bugs like failure to boot.
I found a note on the Github repository which said:
NOTE: for mounting via fstab to work you must have mount.fuse installed. For Ubuntu/Debian it is included in the fuse package.
So I did that, things worked again. Sorry for not finding out about this earlier.

Cheers,
- Bunny