Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Civ VI through steam has segfault error 4?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
sgian

[solved] Civ VI through steam has segfault error 4?

#1 Post by sgian »

Hi, I just got Civilization VI today and can't get it to work. I open Steam, then click play and eventually I get to the menu. But when I try to start a single player game or just try the benchmark option, then the game closes immediately. With the "less /var/log/messages" command at the end I find this stuff...

Code: Select all

intelkit-deb-8-7-1 kernel: [  268.406695] Civ6[1452]: segfault at a40 ip 00007f6d37971989 sp 00007f6d13a7de78 error 4 in libGLdispatch.so.0[7f6d37965000+32000]
My specs are...
Debian 8.7.1 backports enabled, kernel 4.9 bpo, KDE 4.14.2
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 dual core 3.2 GHz
RAM 8 GB
graphics NVIDIA GT 730 with proprietary driver 375.39

Is there anything to do? For linux, the requirement is Ubuntu 16.04 or SteamOS, and I believe I meet hardware requirements, because even though it isn't an i3 it still has similar speed and cores.
Last edited by sgian on 2017-04-26 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

sgian

Re: Civ VI through steam has segfault error 4?

#2 Post by sgian »

I installed kubuntu 16.04 on another partition on this pc, with the same proprietary driver and Civ VI works fine. I would prefer to keep using debian though. Are there any ideas on what to do? I'm thinking it is some package that needs to be updated but I don't know which one. I tried a dist-upgrade and nothing was available. It just occurred to me to target jessie-backports to do the dist-upgrade. I'll try that now.

dasein

#3 Post by dasein »

SteamOS is a Debian derivative that's specifically preconfigured to make running Steam simple and painless. They even have their own forums, overflowing with people who know stuff about Steam.

It'd certainly be worth your time to at least browse their forums to see if your question has already been answered there:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamu ... ussions/1/

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

Times like this. It is more worth asking the developers about your issue, providing detailed information and logs.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

sgian

Re: [solved] Civ VI through steam has segfault error 4?

#5 Post by sgian »

My problem was with Debian 8 because I use Debian 8.7.1. I could see asking maybe Civ VI developers since I couldn't find the answer with search engines, but since the problem was not really with the game but how up to date the Debian 8 packages are, they would have probably just sent me back here. Anyways, my hunch was correct. If anyone comes across this issue here is the solution that worked for me in getting Debian 8 capable of running Civ VI...

Code: Select all

apt-get dist-upgrade -t jessie-backports
It would seem that Civ VI was designed with newer packages for Ubuntu 16.04 and not Debian 8, so things had to be upgraded from the backports. I do appreciate that people took the time to try pointing me someplace where I might have gotten help though. Thank you.

stevepusser

Re: [solved] Civ VI through steam has segfault error 4?

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Well, you lucked out, because sometimes packages make it into jessie-backports that break other things. The maintainers recommend you just upgrade what you need in small steps, rather than everything in one unfixable lump if something goes pear shaped.
MX Linux packager and developer