Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Changing version of python kills wicd SOLVED

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
keithostertag

Changing version of python kills wicd SOLVED

#1 Post by keithostertag »

Before this past week my desktop had been using python version 2.7. A few days ago I used update-alternatives to switch to using python 3.5 because I am starting a study of python and want to use the latest version to learn python coding.

No problem until today when a power outage in my neighborhood happened for a few minutes. When I powered my desktop back on I couldn't get networking to work... At first I feared the power outage may have fried or damaged something, so I spent a fair amount of time checking Ethernet lines and ports, the router, etc.

Eventually I discovered that wicd wasn't loading and refused to load. And by chance I happened to notice at least one other program refused to load (bleachbit). That's when I discovered that, to my surprise, I am actually running python-wicd instead of running wicd. I can only guess that change was made for me during a past system upgrade.

When I subsequently used update-alternatives to switch back to python 2.7, I find that wicd loads and I now have my network connections back as normal.

Is this a bug? Or have I missed some configuration setting to allow python dependent applications to use whatever the current version of python that is running?

Is there a way I can change back to using python 3.5 and keep my python dependent programs like wicd still working? (Evidently I will be able to run the python 3.5 versions of wicd, eclipse, pydev, Django, etc... that I recently loaded if I switch back to python 3.5 AFTER the system has loaded with python 2.7...)

I'm running an updated Stretch (now stable).

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag

Code: Select all

keith@ada:~$ uname -a
Linux ada 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u2 (2017-06-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux

keith@ada:~$ ps aux|grep wicd
root       745  0.0  0.0 185916 14896 ?        S    17:26   0:00 /usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py --keep-connection
root       758  0.0  0.1 110472 17804 ?        S    17:26   0:00 /usr/bin/python -O /usr/share/wicd/daemon/monitor.py
keith     4724  0.0  0.0  12784   960 pts/0    S+   17:48   0:00 grep wicd

keith@ada:~$ dpkg -l "*wicd*"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                              Version               Architecture          Description
+++-=================================-=====================-=====================-=======================================================================
ii  python-wicd                       1.7.4+tb2-4           all                   wired and wireless network manager - Python module
ii  wicd                              1.7.4+tb2-4           all                   wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
un  wicd-cli                          <none>                <none>                (no description available)
un  wicd-client                       <none>                <none>                (no description available)
un  wicd-curses                       <none>                <none>                (no description available)
ii  wicd-daemon                       1.7.4+tb2-4           all                   wired and wireless network manager - daemon
ii  wicd-gtk                          1.7.4+tb2-4           all                   wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ client

keith@ada:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config python
There are 2 choices for the alternative python (providing /usr/bin/python).

Selection    Path                Priority   Status
------------------------------------------------------------
  0            /usr/bin/python3.5   2         auto mode
* 1            /usr/bin/python2.7   1         manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/python3.5   2         manual mode
Last edited by keithostertag on 2017-07-22 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

Bulkley

Re: Changing version of python kills wicd (and other program

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Maybe you should stop using update-alternatives.

You do know that you can have both 2.7 and 3.5, don't you?

keithostertag

#3 Post by keithostertag »

Hi Buckley- Yes, I do know I have both versions loaded. I had read that using update-alternatives is the proper way to select which version I want to use... but I guess I misinterpreted that...

Now I see that I can simply run "python3" at the command prompt (to write code) even when python 2.7 is the system default. At least it seems to work at the moment...

I hadn't known that- so you have given me the answer.

Thanks!

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

I'm glad you got it working. Could you please add Solved to the title in your opening post? This might help someone else.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Wicd is a Python program that uses its GTK bindings for the GUI. There's isn't any non-Python version. Wicd-gtk is the GUI package.
MX Linux packager and developer