Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Propagation of Kerberos database fails

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
fauxxami

Propagation of Kerberos database fails

#1 Post by fauxxami »

Good afternoon,

using a Kerberos master and a slave for quite some time, I had to realize yesterday that I have now a problem with the propagation of the master database to the slave. The error message is:

Code: Select all

kprop: Server rejected authentication (during sendauth exchange) while authenticating to server
kprop: Service key not available signalled from server
Error text from server: Service key not available
The Kerberos configuration was not modified and I didn't create new host principals for the two servers. On the master and on the slave, I can get a Kerberos ticket with 'kinit -k host/hostname@REALM' without using a password. With klist, I verified the tickets.

Any idea to solve this problem will be highly appreciated,

fauxxami

P.S.: Very strange: in contradiction to the error message above, the propagation seems to work. I just changed my password on the master, propagated the database and could log in on the slave with the NEW password.

pylkko

Re: Propagation of Kerberos database fails

#2 Post by pylkko »

have you tried:
https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.13/doc/admin/troubleshoot.html#kprop-sendauth-exchange wrote:kprop: Server rejected authentication (during sendauth exchange) while authenticating to server
Make sure that:

The time is synchronized between the master and slave KDCs.
The master stash file was copied from the master to the expected location on the slave.
The slave has a keytab file in the default location containing a host principal for the slave’s hostname

fauxxami

#3 Post by fauxxami »

Yes, I did. Time is synchronized, the stash file is the same, and the system keytab file contains host/name_of_slave@REALM. I tested all this several times.

fauxxami

#4 Post by fauxxami »

The problem is finally solved: I had a problem with the nameserver on the slave. So krpopd was trying to use a wrong host principal. From now on, database propagation is working again.