Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

systemd: how to disable autofs4 module

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
manmath

systemd: how to disable autofs4 module

#1 Post by manmath »

My system is working perfectly fine except an error message while booting:

Code: Select all

systemd: Failed to load module autofs4
I don't have autofs module and I know I don't need that. Mine is custom kernel stripped off of all the unnecessary modules. And my system doesn't have initrd and kmod. I did try to blacklist this module, but nothing to my avail.
Would anybody please suggest how to suppress this message, in other words, what should I do so that systemd doesn't check autofs4 module?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: systemd: how to disable autofs4 module

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/9501 & https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=902946 — please search before posting here.

@Wheelerof4te, looks like those kernel devs are breaking stuff again... :D
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

manmath wrote:how to suppress this message
If kmod was installed, you could have used the "install" command in an /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf file to run some command which returns success. Without kmod, I guess you can create a {/usr/local}/sbin/modprobe symlink pointing to /bin/true.

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/9501 & https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=902946 — please search before posting here.

@Wheelerof4te, looks like those kernel devs are breaking stuff again... :D
What this issue has to do with kernel devs? :?

llivv

#5 Post by llivv »

How I learned to love the dep~bloat
see also: auto5 []6 []7 end []8

p.H is that what is called a dirty hack?

:idea:
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Segfault wrote:What this issue has to do with kernel devs? :?
Read Lennart's comments in the linked bug report.

And sorry for the off-topic wind-up.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

llivv wrote:p.H is that what is called a dirty hack?
I guess so. It is intended to suppress the message, not the cause. But after reading HoaS' link I am not even sure it works.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

I don't have autofs module and I know I don't need that. Mine is custom kernel stripped off of all the unnecessary modules.
How did you determine which modules were unnecessary? Have you considered that maybe autofs is necessary for systemd to function correctly with your current settings?

In any case, version of systemd would be bare minimum, (and kernel source ver?) to link the issue to the bug report/controversy mentioned?

These threads pointing out contoversies/conflicts among devs seem much more common lately, but do not affect debian stable users so far FWICT. Some people just like to stir the pot, but if you take away the controversy, usually you just need to post more facts to help the forum solve a problem together.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

manmath

#9 Post by manmath »

Thank you all. I tried the suggestions but still that error message is there. And yes, my problem is the same as mentioned in bugzilla.

manmath

#10 Post by manmath »

From last night I've been trying various workarounds such as looking for the string "autofs4" to comment it out as a way to stop systemd from looking for the module. But could not succeed. Is there a way to edit some systemd units that have mention of autofs2. I mean what about:

systemctl edit --full <systemd unit name>

Members please suggest me the likely units because there are hundreds of them.

manmath

#11 Post by manmath »

bw123 wrote:
How did you determine which modules were unnecessary? Have you considered that maybe autofs is necessary for systemd to function correctly with your current settings?
Just now I recompiled a kernel without autofs. I also don't have autofs package installed. There's no problem in running the system except for systemd is still trying to look for the modules and throws that error message. I was asking if there's a way to edit some systemd units so that systemd doesn't look for autofs4.