Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Laptop Base configuration

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gusva

Laptop Base configuration

#1 Post by gusva »

Hi developers i use Debian in Laptop a long time ago. Now i use in Dell Inspiron 7472.

I want the instalation in out of the box, but not yet. Nividia need some configuration with blumblebee and hibernation not work, i not see a EFI boot in standart instalation.

I need search laptop packages in apt, you can do a base instalation with this features to laptops?

thanks

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Laptop Base configuration

#2 Post by arochester »

There are no developers here. This is a user forum.

The practice and philosophy of Debian is to produce a totally free distribution. Nvidia is proprietary software --- it is not free. It is available to people who add the non-free Repository.

Have you tried the unofficial disk that contains some firmware? https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

What is the hardware on the laptop?

Can you boot Debian at all with it, and install inxi, and give us a harware report with "inxi -Fxz"? If you can't boot, try booting a Live session of MX LInux, which includes inxi already, update the hardware ID database with

Code: Select all

sudo update-pcids && sudo update-usbids
(requires you be connected to the Net, just skip the update if you don't have a connection--the sudo password on Live is "demo")
and give the result of the inxi command.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

gusva wrote:i not see a EFI boot in standart instalation.
Debian stretch should support UEFI installation but Secure Boot needs to be disabled.

Did you boot the installer in UEFI mode?

EDIT: to install the laptop packages use

# apt install task-laptop
deadbang

gusva

#5 Post by gusva »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
gusva wrote:i not see a EFI boot in standart instalation.
Debian stretch should support UEFI installation but Secure Boot needs to be disabled.

Did you boot the installer in UEFI mode?

EDIT: to install the laptop packages use

# apt install task-laptop
Yes, i use UEFI to install and boot. I not found how change to EFI.

My hardware Is Dell Inspiron 7472 amd64 instalation
Intel I7 8550U
Geforce MX150
Sound Realtek
Lan/Bluetooh/Wireless Atheros

I Change the apt source list to man contrib Non-free
i follow this how-to to install and work fine.
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee
but when the Geforce not use, i see the error the acpid dont disable the board. machine make little frezze, and i open some program with a optimus and the frezze stop.

See this in log messages
vidia-modeset: Unloading
nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 246
bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics
ACPI Warning: \_SB.PCI0.RP01.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20160831/nsarguments-95)
pci 0000:01:00.0: Refused to change power state, currently in D0
bbswitch: enabling discrete graphics
nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 246
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 384.130 Wed Mar 21 03:37:26 PDT 2018 (using threaded interrupts)

I dont install library i386 in the Geforce, i see some foruns say this is nacessary.
I dont have more the logs. My laptop is changed by Dell and now i not instaled Debian again.

All function out-of-box, selecting the firmware in the apt Sound, Lan, Wireless and bluetooh work well.
Suspend work without configuration, but the hibernate not run the machine dont shutdown, and not return when i turn on.

My instalation have 2 disks, one M2. 128gb have the / and all directory, one partition with 32gb to swap.
outher SATA HD 1tb all to /home

If somebody know this problem i need a help.