Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

is exim4 needed on stand alone computer

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ticojohn

is exim4 needed on stand alone computer

#1 Post by ticojohn »

On my Buster platform I logged in via tty (ctrl alt F1) and saw a huge number (close to 200) of messages related to exim4 panic log. When I looked at /var/log/exim4 there was no panic log. I looked at the exim4 mainlog and it was just a series of connect and disconnect from ports 25 or 26. I then looked, just for grins, at my Bullseye system and exim4 is not even installed. So my question is this: does exim4 even need to be installed on a computer that is not networked, other than via the internet? And if it's not needed can it be uninstalled easily? Thanks.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

kedaha

Re: is exim4 needed on stand alone computer

#2 Post by kedaha »

Hi there,
Simulating its removal shows it isn't needed for anything else so if you don't need it, then just remove it:
$ apt remove -s exim4*
or purge it entirely:
$ apt remove --purge -s exim4*
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

ticojohn

Re: is exim4 needed on stand alone computer

#3 Post by ticojohn »

kedaha wrote:Hi there,
Simulating its removal shows it isn't needed for anything else so if you don't need it, then just remove it:
$ apt remove -s exim4*
or purge it entirely:
$ apt remove --purge -s exim4*
Thanks @kedaha. DOH! I wasn't smart enough to think about doing a simulated removal. Looks like after purging exim4 I will then need to manually remove the log files. No problem.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.