Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

howto remove SLAPD from debian10???

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Chaganja

howto remove SLAPD from debian10???

#1 Post by Chaganja »

Good morning!, I installed SLAPD (stand-alone light-weight directory access protocol) on my home computer last week and since having undesirable issues in dealing with such a thing realizing it's a bit over my head at this point in time and would like to uninstall and remove all my SLAPD server packages and files that I attempted to setup on my debian10 and have been having issues finding the proper way to uninstall the external dir and packages along with all of it's files, I have searched a number of resources and now am kindly asking you all how I can just entirely remove this setup, I have infact made a few attempts which is apt remove/purge and such actions to do so which has led to only partial removal of certain files, I still have a small number of LDAP* Files in my /bin along with an LDAP folder in /etc which holds the LDAP.conf and LDAP files in /usr/bin, I just would like it all actually 'purged' right, this issue as well seems to be sending up a local? 'hidden wifi' network on top of all that but I am a bit new and have a long streak of patience and dedication towards debian, any help at all is so greatly appreciated, thank you all!, Hope I've met proper question criteria as well, blessed to be here!...

Bulkley

Re: howto remove SLAPD from debian10???

#2 Post by Bulkley »

Assuming you installed slapd from the Debian repository do

Code: Select all

# apt purge slapd
That won't get it all so do

# updatedb
Followed by

$ locate slapd
Now you know where the rest of it is and you can remove those items manually.

Chaganja

#3 Post by Chaganja »

I do believe you've helped me solved the issue here thank you much, not exactly sure what was up with needing to install 'locate' like I did and why I'm getting the 'unable to locate package' error when I try installing updatedb but that's another story for another time I can handle that, the 'hidden wifi' network display in my wifi connections list is gone and I'm happy again, thank you it means alot.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Chaganja wrote:...not exactly sure what was up with needing to install 'locate' like I did and why I'm getting the 'unable to locate package' error when I try installing updatedb
You don't install updatedb, it is the command to run for updating the locate database.
Try installing the mlocate package:

apt install mlocate
then

updatedb
updatedb will take some time to index the whole system on first run.
Both commands must be run as root or sudo, but locate can be run as user. When you run locate it actually calls mlocate. You can remove the locate package as it's not required.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between locate and mlocate, but I always install mlocate and subsequently the locate command works fine.
Dammit, now I had to find the answer; apparently mlocate is a newer implementation and replacement for locate. See https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... nd-mlocate
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!