Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My very first Debian, a noob question

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gpetersz

My very first Debian, a noob question

#1 Post by gpetersz »

Hi,

I decided to install a Debian Linux beside my WinXP. I am a beginner with Linux (I use UNIX (AIX) daily, but I am a user, I 99% use it to run sqlplus, I write sql scripts with it, so I am not a unix guru).

First I browsed the net and found lots of distributions but one of my collegues suggested to use Debian as a generally good distribution on all areas. So I visited the website and looked how I can get it. I've seen that it takes around 14 CDs or 2 DVDs to download so I decided to use
netinst. I downloaded the about 100 megs ISO and burned it to a CD.
I've booted from it and started to install. First I was very lame and pressed a simple Enter so I've got Kernel 2.4 (woody). Unfortunatelly I have an MSI K8 NeoPlatinum (NForce 3) motherboard with integrated features like integrated LAN. So the 2.4 install couldn't find my LAN card what really torpedoed my install from the mirrors. In fact install said that no Lan card was found and asked me to set one manually.
(the forcedeth.c in the 2.4 only supports up to Nforce2)

Then I "researched" a bit on the net and realized that I should look at the help at the start of the install. Then, I was able to start the 2.6 (sarge)
install. It detected the LAN card now (did not ask for manual setting), but
when after this it said that it will asks the network config from the DHCP server (what is a DSL Hub in my mini-network) the progress bar just went to 100% and it said: no DHCP server was found.
It asked me to set the network manually, so I set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 (what is the IP address of the DSL Hub, and WinXP works this way), the IP address I set 192.168.0.2 (what is given to my PC by the DSL Hub all the time I login to Windows), I didn't give any DNS server, so I thought I was finished.

But I wasn't. I wasn't able to use the net such downloading any packages for Debian. I cannot ping anything but the local loopback (what does not mean anything).

I used dmesg to check the boot and found that eth0 is something 1394 over IPv4 or like that (I don't understand and I am in WinXP at the moment), what I don't know what is really. And there is an eth1 what I cannot find when I type ifconfig.

So, when I type ifconfig I find:
lo (127.0.0.1)
and eth0 what I set up manually (192.168.0.2)
but no eth1 (contrary that something happens when I boot).

I wonder if anybody stumbled upon the same problem, or maybe a pro
will see at first sight what I do wrong.

Beside, I downloaded the latest Nvidia Nforce3 drivers from the Nvidia homepage to a Windows partition. I was able to mount it and I started the installation with sh fname...

But it said that I haven't got the binutils package so the installation could not finish. I thought that I should download the binutils package manually (from somewhere), install it and retry the Nvidia driver install, but first, I ASK, maybe the solution is a way simpler.

Thanks for anybody who answers.
Perter
Experience the Beauty of the Beast at
http://www.beautyofbeast.com

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

I don't really understand that "1394 over IPv4" thing; I never seen anything like this. Maybe someone else will be able to explain this...

You probably can't see eth1 because ifconfig lists only the active interfaces. The installer finds one interface, and it happily configures it without worrying for any other. You may use 'ifconfig -a' to list all of the interfaces found in the system.
If this way you can see your eth1, you can do the following from the shell during install:
1. deconfigure your existing "interface" with 'ifconfig eth0 down'.
2. configure your eth1 to be your connection to the internet by running these commands:

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.2 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1
After this, you should be able to ping other computers, but since you still doesn't have a nameserver, ping by hostname will fail. Probably the install system operates with hostnames, so you really want to give a nameserver...

About the nforce drivers you downloaded: I think you have to have a running system to install it; you can't install the binutils package without actually having a system, and even if you were able to do this, heaven knows what will it miss next...
But anyway, I don't think that answer has anything to do with installing new drivers.

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

AFIK 1394 is firewire.
Maybe problem with the machine trying to configure a driver for ethernet over firewire?

http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&b ... tnG=Search

-Bob

gpetersz

#4 Post by gpetersz »

Yep! It came to my mind that I could have a look at what Windows found. It says (under Network connections):

1. 1394 Network Adapter
2. Nvidia nForce Networking Controller

So, actually there are TWO of them. But seemingly both installed identical (with TCP/IP binded, DHCP allowed and so) The TCP/IP config of both are the same. Well, Windows hided so well that I didn't know about these.
Now, which one to use? Seemingly the 1394 one is somekind of universal interface. When I researched the net it brought video capture cams, hdds and all type of hardware, so I think I should use the nForce Networking Controller.

But how? As I see Debian haven't detected it (actually there IS an eth1 when I look at it with dmesg) and when I try to start it with ifup with sthing like ifup eth1 it says an error...

Any idea guys? Or I should go for the binutils package, install it and install the newest nVidia Linux drivers. I am determinded to HAVE Linux on my dekstop PC.

"what will it miss next... " Yes that what my collegue (with Linux at home) said! Exactly.... :(

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

You should be able to configure your eth1 as I said. If you aren't, please paste here the error message it gives.
Note that you should disable eth0 first using 'ifconfig eth0 down' before trying to make eth1 get up.
After eth1 is up and running, the installer should recognize it as a configured interface. It if doesn't, then just go with the installer to where it says there is no internet connection, go to the console, configure your eth1, go back to the installer, and try the operation again.

gpetersz

#6 Post by gpetersz »

lacek wrote:You should be able to configure your eth1 as I said. If you aren't, please paste here the error message it gives.
Note that you should disable eth0 first using 'ifconfig eth0 down' before trying to make eth1 get up.
After eth1 is up and running, the installer should recognize it as a configured interface. It if doesn't, then just go with the installer to where it says there is no internet connection, go to the console, configure your eth1, go back to the installer, and try the operation again.
Thanks a lot! As I remember I haven't brought eth0 down before I tried to up eth1. I'll do as you said, and return with the result (I am at work right now, I'll try it at home in the evening).
I think I understood: first down eth0, then up eth1, then restart the installer and everything should go fine (downloading system and other packages).

By the way. How can I "up" an "eth" to use DHCP? Even if this 192.168.0.2 is true most the time, but if I restart my DSL Hub, it might change (in the order the machines will be switched on and ask for IP).
And if it stays fixed then I'll might have to change it later.

Thanks again!

lacek

#7 Post by lacek »

To my knowledge, you can't 'up' an interface with ifconfig to use dhcp. You have to have a dhcp client for this. I don't really know what whcp client is included on the install CD, but surely there is one.
Anyway, you don't need to worry about this as network settings can be configured later without any problem. Just make the installer recognise your eth1, install Debian, and you can change your networking settings later by editing /etc/network/interfaces. If you need help in doing so, see interfaces(5), or ask here :-)

gpetersz

#8 Post by gpetersz »

Thx!

Well... I worked around the problem by disabling
the IEEE 1394 onboard FireWire in the BIOS. So this way
Debian found the network controller as eth0 and I am now
able to ping my DSL Hub, so seemingly the network works.

I started apt to continue install, but seemingly I should do this because
when I set the mirror to download the system from it ask for proxy (I leave it blank and press enter) and it says that it wasn't succesful.
Actually all mirrors (some 5-6) in Hungary do not work.

I try to boot from the CD again.

lacek

#9 Post by lacek »

I don't know for sure, but maybe you need a DNS server to address the mirrors, since mirror sites are referenced by their names. As I said before, it is probable that the install can't finish without a nameserver.

Use the 'main' debian site (ftp.debian.org). It should work.

If you are unable to connect to _any_ of the mirrors, you probably got the nameserver issue. In this case, here are some IP addresses you may use for install:
ftp.debian.org:
ftp.fsn.hu:

In the end, you would need a nameserver. Use the address(es) your internet provider gave to you.

gpetersz

#10 Post by gpetersz »

Many thanks again.
I've configured the DNS (at resolv.conf).

I've started sbin/apt-setup, and it was able to download some 3347K main files (seemingly for apt itself) and it said that now I am ready
to download any of the 15046 packages.

The big question now... how do I now what I want? Isn't there a front-end or something that shows the packages in a list (with a short description) and I can check/uncheck what I want? (it would be nice)
Anyway, how do I know what to write for PKGNAME at apt-get install PKGNAME?

I am only sure now that I want a graphical interface up and running as fast as I can. So actually I'll need X Windows and somekind of GUI KDE or Gnome. What else? (and how...)

I think I am "in the last lap", thanks for the helps.

gpetersz

#11 Post by gpetersz »

HUUUURRRAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I write this in GNOME/Epiphany now!!!!

The graphical desktop is up and running, the network is all right.
I do not have sound yet, but I'll fight this problem as well.

Seemingly, installing a Linux is much more a research sensitive thing than I thought...

Thx for all!!

Harold

#12 Post by Harold »

gpetersz> how do I know what to write for PKGNAME at apt-get install PKGNAME?

Do apt-cache search searchword to get a list of package names. For instance, you want to install the epiphany browser and apt-get epiphany installs something completely different. Do apt-cache search epiphany and you get a list of packages, one of which is "epiphany-browser."

Once you have a valid package name, you can get additional info on that package with the command apt-cache show PKGNAME.

gpetersz

#13 Post by gpetersz »

Thx again! I'll do that.