Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Adding a User

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jimbo-62

Adding a User

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

I have a very lean Sarge installation from a net installation. The only additional applications that I installed include: x-window-system, kdebase, kdeadmin, kdenetwork, mozilla-firefox, emelfm, smb4k and dhcpcd.

The only user I have is "root". I have not been able to add a useable new user. The user "jimbo" is there, but he doesn't show up in the KDE login window.

The KDE user manager complains about two missing files when I try to edit user "jimbo".

The two files are: "/etc/shadow" and "/etc/gshadow".

Any help will be appreciated, jimbo

dawgie

Re: Adding a User

#2 Post by dawgie »

jimbo-62 wrote: The only user I have is "root". I have not been able to add a useable new user.
As root:
# useradd somename
The user "jimbo" is there, but he doesn't show up in the KDE login window.

The KDE user manager complains about two missing files when I try to edit user "jimbo".

The two files are: "/etc/shadow" and "/etc/gshadow".
The password files were not created.

If you have not used the user "jimbo", I suggest you remove the user and start over:
# userdel jimbo
Then create the user:
# useradd jimbo
Create a password for jimbo:
# passwd jimbo

-Bob

jimbo-62

#3 Post by jimbo-62 »

Some days I just can't win!

Thanks for the help, jimbo