Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cant cd to nvidia direcory

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

Cant cd to nvidia direcory

#1 Post by Guest »

Please can some one help? I am trying to install the new NVIDIA drivers, but cannot even attempt to install them until I can cd in the correct directory. can somebody help please, I dont know whats wrong at all

manny

#2 Post by manny »

No offense but with so little info is kinda hard to know what's going on. This doc helped me tons with the way i ask for help. http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

ogmios

#3 Post by ogmios »

Thank you for the advice. Let me elaborate.

I am trying to install the latest NVIDIA drivers for my debian system, but as yet cannot even begin to install them because I cannot "cd" into the correct directory where the driver files have been downloaded. I have tried many many ways, trying to see if I am doing it incorrectly, which I know I am not. The drivers files are stored in: /home/my-name/NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run so, by the usual method, to get into that file folder in order to do the install I am typing cd /home/my-name/NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run, this is correct, is it not? I have tried typing in various different ways of saying the same thing to the system but it just wont let me into the file directory, as it always says, "no such file or directory

manny

#4 Post by manny »

Ok, i think you are trying to "open" NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run but it is not a directory, but a file. You should:
1 cd /home/my-name/
2 become root user typing: su (enter) (rootpassword) (enter)
3 typing: sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-7667-pkg1.run
It will ask some questions and will try to build it for you, but first you may need to apt-get install build-essential to make sure you got everything.
It's getting late here, but tomorrow i can post a simple step by step of how to do it. Hope it helps. Good luck
ps. oh, you also need to do this when X is not running. I promise to post a step by step tomorrow. too tired now. good night

manny

#5 Post by manny »

Ok, i replied to you other post here with the step by step. It is here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=4293#4293