Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Drivers

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
shihan

Installing Drivers

#1 Post by shihan »

Hello to all

Firstly i would like to say hello, i'm very new to Debian, so trying to learn....

Having tried several different linux os, i decided to try Debian....right or wrong, only time will tell....lol.....I have a 3 year old laptop, so i am using that for my Linux OS.

OK my question. Is it possible to copy drivers from the Knoppix Live CD and install them into Debian Sarge? If so how would i go about doing that procedure?

If someone can help that would be great as some things on my laptop dont work at the moment "SIS Display, Touchpad etc"

Many thanks

Shihan :D

adi1334

#2 Post by adi1334 »

Wellcome to Debian...

From when I was very new to Debian, I can tell you that it is a bit of a pain to get the hang of it, but once you figure out stuff, it"s pretty much great .... Its just that you have to be willing to do a bit of digging on your own...

While I dont really get the question of copying drivers from Knoppix, since you mentioned SIS, you might want to have a look here: http://www.winischhofer.at/linuxsisvga.shtml
(I presume you are talking about SIS video drivers).

Hope this is what you were looking for....

Cheers,
Adi

shihan

re

#3 Post by shihan »

Hi adi1334

Thank you for your reply. I have finally figured out what to do....long way to go, but may be fun when i better understand.

Cheers