Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to statically change permisson of /dev/.static

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
antonmx

how to statically change permisson of /dev/.static

#1 Post by antonmx »

Hi!

I have a small but unplesant problem. I've got some useful devices in the /dev/.static/dev directory (for example nvram device). However the directory /.static in /dev has the permission 0700, owner: root/root. What means that an ordinary user cannot access any devices under this directory even if they have the appropriate permission to it. I have tried to change the permission of the .static to 0755 and everything worked fine. But after reboot the they always return back to 0700.

Can anyone tell me how I can CONSTANTLY set the permission of /dev/.static to 0755? Or maybe there are other tricks which solves the problem?

Many thanks in advance.

dawgie

Re: how to statically change permisson of /dev/.static

#2 Post by dawgie »

antonmx wrote:Hi!

I have a small but unplesant problem. I've got some useful devices in the /dev/.static/dev directory (for example nvram device). However the directory /.static in /dev has the permission 0700, owner: root/root. What means that an ordinary user cannot access any devices under this directory even if they have the appropriate permission to it. I have tried to change the permission of the .static to 0755 and everything worked fine. But after reboot the they always return back to 0700.

Can anyone tell me how I can CONSTANTLY set the permission of /dev/.static to 0755? Or maybe there are other tricks which solves the problem?

Many thanks in advance.
You can change the attributes to make the directory immutable with:
# chattr +i /dev/.static
This command did not used to work with reiser filesystem and was a bug with reiser that may have been fixed.

It would be better to get dynamic devices working. You can edit your /etc/udev/links.conf file to create devices and symlinks.

-Bob

antonmx

#3 Post by antonmx »

Thanks, I will try to play with the links.conf

I like the header of this file:
# This file does not exist. Please do not ask the debian maintainer about it.
# You may use it to do strange and wonderful things, at your risk.

This is what I like Linux for..)))