Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting noip2 to start during boot up

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
blixel

Getting noip2 to start during boot up

#1 Post by blixel »

I actually have this working, but let me explain why I'm posting this anyway. I'm trying to figure out exactly what update-rc.d is doing that I can't seem to do manually.

My system boots to run level 2 by default. (And stays at run level 2 all the time. It's just a command line system.)

When I type:

Code: Select all

cd /etc/rc2.d
ln -s ../init.d/noip2 S95noip2
That of course creates the link which Debian reads during boot up to start the script. If I run this manually:

/etc/rc2.d/S95noip2 start
it works just fine. But the system still doesn't start noip2 at boot up. However, if I delete the link I made and then run:

update-rc.d noip2 defaults
Then it will start at boot up. Huh? What is update-rc.d doing other than creating a soft link? I tested this back and forth numerous times, and every time I make the link, it doesn't start at boot up, when update-rc.d makes the link, it does start. I tried using S01noip2 instead of S95noip2, but it doesn't mater. So, I can't figure out what update-rc.d is doing outside of creating/removing links. Can someone explain what is going on?