Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CPU types for custom kernel

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jkwilborn

CPU types for custom kernel

#1 Post by jkwilborn »

Hello, I am building a custom kernel for my machine which has an i5-4440 Intel CPU. Following the menu to configure the build, I find it troublesome to understand which CPU I should be selecting. I have these to select from:

1.) Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
2.) Intel P4/ Older Netburst based Xeon
3.) Core 2/newer Xeon
4.) Intel Atom
5.) Generic-x86-64

I did select number 3, as it seemed closer to what I have than any of the others, I have not attempted a build with it until I found out if the selection is proper for my CPU. I was advised that the 686 type selection is proper, of course it doesn't exist, then another advised the 3 or 5 option. So now I am confused about which CPU I should configure. It seems that the i3 to i7 CPU's have a great difference between them and therefore am hoping someone would be able to shed some light on which I should use, why and why not the other, if you follow me..

I think anything would be good at this point.

Thanks

Jack

santiagorf

Re: CPU types for custom kernel

#2 Post by santiagorf »

It seems core2 is the correct configuration

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-9 ... art-0.html

stevepusser

Re: CPU types for custom kernel

#3 Post by stevepusser »

#3.

You'd only see i686 if you were building a 32-bit kernel, but you're running a 64-bit OS, so it's building a 64-bit kernel.

But I doubt you would really notice any difference between #3 or #5 anyway.
MX Linux packager and developer