Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issues Setting Global $PATH when using LXDE

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mwbuda

Issues Setting Global $PATH when using LXDE

#1 Post by mwbuda »

I am setting up a development VM for work on a new project; and am having trouble altering the global $PATH.

_What I am Trying to Do:_
I am trying to alter the global $PATH from
"/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games"
to
"/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin/var/opt/run"

_Why I am Trying to Do It:_
since this is a work VM, we don't need games in the path;
/var/opt I am using as the root to manually install our dev software;

I wanted to avoid using apt to download this because a lot of what we want is not latest version; and I did not want to mess around with adding custom apt sources.
It is much easier to manually install/unpack-from-tars the stuff I need, and get it on the global path

_What I Have Already Tried:_
1st:
per the information here https://wiki.debian.org/EnvironmentVariables I edited /etc/profile to use the altered path.
if I `source /etc/profile` in a terminal everything works as expected, but this doesn't apply at system start like I need it to.

2nd:
I have also tried login.def; again it doesn't have the right paths on system start;

3rd:
added a definition to the (prev. empty) /etc/environment. same result

I found this link here:
http://ljwo.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/gl ... eezy-xfce/
which seems like it (or something like it) may be the problem, but the provided solution doesn't help me b/c I am using LXDE, not XFCE.
I understand I can fix the stupid done by LightDM (assuming LightDM is the culprit) with a script run at end of boot/init; but I am not sure where to put that script.

Can Anyone help me get the global $PATH set properly?
Thanks!