Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel compiling-problems with gconfig???

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ak-87

Kernel compiling-problems with gconfig???

#1 Post by ak-87 »

I've downloaded kernel source 2.6.8 (debian package),installed it,then unpacked it in /usr/src.But when I run #make xconfig I get next message>>>

Code: Select all

* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR
* environment variable is set to the correct location.
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
So,I've decided to try with #make gconfig.But in gconfig,almost all options in kernel configuration are checked,so I don't know really which one that I need,and which aren't.While in Slackware,all options that I need are checked,all I need to add few,and that's it.So,what I should do?
Slackware Linux 10.1 && Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 "Sarge"

dawgie

Re: Kernel compiling-problems with gconfig???

#2 Post by dawgie »

ak-87 wrote:I've downloaded kernel source 2.6.8 (debian package),installed it,then unpacked it in /usr/src.But when I run #make xconfig I get next message>>>

* Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR
* environment variable is set to the correct location.
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
You can also do a make menuconfig
So,I've decided to try with #make gconfig.But in gconfig,almost all options in kernel configuration are checked,so I don't know really which one that I need,and which aren't.While in Slackware,all options that I need are checked,all I need to add few,and that's it.So,what I should do?
It is easier if you copy (and rename) your /boot/config* to your /usr/src/linuxXXX source directory.
This way, your are starting off with what you already have configured so it will be a lot less work making the few changes you want to your config.

-Bob

ak-87

#3 Post by ak-87 »

It is ok,now.I installed qt devel package,copy my .config file from Slackware,and now it works just fine...I have sound too. :wink:
But now I have next problem...
I now that I don't need scsi emulation on 2.6 kernel,but when I tried to burn CD,with xcdroast I got a "million" errors,and I couldn't burn anything.So,I've included module for ide-scsi,I've put line in /etc/modules <ide-scsi>,in fstab changed to /dev/scd0,but now xcdroast finds my cd,there is no more stupid watnings about scsi emulation,but I can't open any CD or DVD.When I try I get next message>>>

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,
       missing codepage or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
???[/code]
Slackware Linux 10.1 && Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 "Sarge"