Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

where is APT putting Apache2 applications like Nagios and...

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
endtransmission

where is APT putting Apache2 applications like Nagios and...

#1 Post by endtransmission »

where is APT putting apache applications like gallery and nagios and squirrelmail and whatnot...? I mean for the most part these should be html or php files and thus completely containerable as far as I know...

I'm newer to Debian but not quite a virgin - have just migrated all our servers from Gentoo to Debian even though I've been a Gentoo person up to recently. Almost the entirety of my linux experience is Gentoo.

That being said, i'm having difficulty locating where APT keeps shoving web applications. That it does not seem to understand or provide options for installing individual instances of these applications per virtual domain, presumably its throwing them somewhere globally that I've not been able to locate.

Typically speaking, I like to keep similar items as containerized as possible. Thus all www stuff needs to go under /var/www (except logs which go under /var/log if I can help it). So my web directory looks like this

/var/www/domain.com
/var/www/foobar.org
/var/www/blah.com

Something like Gallery would go in like here
/var/www/domain.com/htdocs/gallery

If Gallery had CGI scripts they'd go in here
/var/www/domain.com/cgi-bin/gallery

etc etc etc

In Gentoo when running into this - after installing you have the option of running a command to install it on a per virtual domain basis with the command

webapp-config -i application-name domain.com

or something like that and wham, it sets it up in your virtual domain of choice. Have a second virtual domain and you need a second independent installation of it? no prob, just change the domain name and re-run it.

I'm sorry that this is lengthy, I'm new to the forums and feel that explaining myself and what I'm accustomed to will hopefully allow one or many of you to respond and help me understand the differences here and what I need to do to bring everything into line so I can be an effective administrator on these machines.

Thanks all
ET

jobezone

Re: where is APT putting Apache2 applications like Nagios an

#2 Post by jobezone »

I'm totally ignorant of Apache, but I advise you to read the help files in the apache-named directories in /usr/share/doc in your system. Specially the README.Debian files within those directories, as they give clues on how are the programs managed in the Debian system.

endtransmission

#3 Post by endtransmission »

Thanks, already been down that road. This isn't an Apache issue but an APT issue.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

The command dpkg -L package_name will tell you what files a Debian package contains and where they are installed.

endtransmission

#5 Post by endtransmission »

Ah yes. Someone in another forum just responded with the same. I guess thats one way to skin a cat.

Strange that Apt would be so complete and thorough in so many other areas and come up so glaringly short here.

oh well. Thanks mate.