Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

EeePC upgraded, original small SSD no longer detected

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
roncrump

EeePC upgraded, original small SSD no longer detected

#1 Post by roncrump »

I decided to give my EeePC 901 a facelift and hopefully a prolonged lifespan, so I installed additional RAM (1GB -> 2GB) and exchanged the 16GB SSD for a new 64GB one. The plan being to install Debian with LXDE on the 64GB drive and get away from disk space on the 4GB SSD being an issue whenever there were a chunk of packages to upgrade.

Having done the installation, I booted straight into a netinst USB but it did not detect the old 4GB SSD. I went ahead and installed on the 64 GB SSD.

Now, unsuprisingly, it still fails to detect the 4GB SSD and I get a message "No IDE Master HDD Detected" followed by Press F1 to continue. After pressing F1 it boots happily.

So, is there anything I can do to get it to recognise the 4GB SSD (I'll happily re-install the system again if I need to)? If not, can I set something to automatically skip past the BIOS warning message about not finding it (I presume that is what the message relates to)?

Thanks.

Ron.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: EeePC upgraded, original small SSD no longer detected

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I would check all the hardware connections -- if your firmware (BIOS) is throwing out an error message it's probably nothing to do with the operating system.
deadbang

roncrump

#3 Post by roncrump »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I would check all the hardware connections
Thanks I'll have a poke around. Didn't think I touched much in there, beyond the RAM and SSD bits I had to, but I've got big hands to be playing about inside an EeePC so I've probably bodged something.

roncrump

#4 Post by roncrump »

It seems this is a hardware thing, nothing to do with debian as pointed out by others.

See https://blog.binarymist.net/2013/05/25/ ... 1-4gb-ssd/ for some discussion.

With a bit of tinkering about you can replace the 4Gb SSD with your new, big one and that will then be seen as the primary drive and everything will be great. I haven't tried to put anything else into the second slot.