Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Jessie and autologin

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
debyrocks

Debian Jessie and autologin

#1 Post by debyrocks »

I am trying to set up Debian Jessie to automatically login without a display manager. With the older version of Debian I would edit the file /etc/inittab and add a line 1:2345:respawn:/bin/login -f "user account" </dev/tty1>/dev/tty1 2>&1. But the Debian Jessie does not have this file.

ohZeishi

Re: Debian Jessie and autologin

#2 Post by ohZeishi »

With Jessie, Debian has decided to switch to a new default init system called systemd. And this new system doesn't use /etc/inittab. So you have two options to solve your problem:

You can either switch back to the old one (called sysvinit):

Code: Select all

# apt-get install sysvinit-core
This command should also remove systemd-sysv, which makes systemd your init system. After that, there should be a /etc/inittab which you can modify like on older versions of Debian. And after a reboot, sysvinit will be your init system.

Or you can configure systemd to do the automatic login. For that create the file /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/autologin.conf (you probably have to create the directory /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d first) with content

Code: Select all

[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --autologin "user account" %I
and then reboot your system.

debyrocks

Re: Debian Jessie and autologin

#3 Post by debyrocks »

I got it working with the second method.
Thank you very much.